house sitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

house sitter

Client lives in Michigan and has rentals in several states such as Ohio and Alabama. Can she deduct the expense of a house sitter. She has several pets that need taken care of while away. All travel is several days at the least.

I would say no. This is primarily a personal expense. Had the same question a while back for a client who traveled to another state to fulfill a temporary employment contract.

Comment

Personal Expenses

I say "No" to deducting a pet-sitter.

But what about such things as mowing the yard, maintaining a modicum of house cleanliness which could otherwise be a problem after several days, bringing in the mail, safeguarding the premises, etc.????

I say "No" to all of the above also, unless child-care is involved, which qualifies for a credit.

Comment

Aren't these costs part of "keeping up your home", which is a requirement to take "away from home expenses"?

I assume this is what your client also want to take anyway.

Comment

No way

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          Aren't these costs part of "keeping up your home", which is a requirement to take "away from home expenses"?

I assume this is what your client also want to take anyway.
          pets are not necessary to "keeping up your home."
          Not even if one is a guard dog.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Where In TTB or elsewhere

can I read about the deductability of the certain costs of maintaining the home while one is away on business? I have to admit that I am intrigued.

For example, what if I decided to have a new roof and complete painting while I am away at a conference? Common sense says that's not allowed but I can see a rationale for paying someone to do things that cannot reasonably be put off until I return and that I would normally perform myself such as lawn care, bringing in the mail and paper and so on although the fact that I could have those deliveries suspended does give me pause. Also if I always pay someone to take care of the lawn then my going out of town surely does not convert a personal expense into a business expense.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
              pets are not necessary to "keeping up your home."
              Not even if one is a guard dog.
              Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant quite the opposite and was relating to necessary costs to keep up the home like repairs and garden care etc. I didn't think any costs for keeping up the home would be deductible if one takes "away from home" expenses.

It's just a factor to determine if one indeed keeps up a home.

Comment

A different approach

But, if you look to Pub 527 for Travel for Rentals it says
                https://Travel expenses. You can ded...blication 463.

I would not think that having a "house/pet sitter] at the t/p residence would be an ordinary and necessary expense to be deducted on her rental schedules under Travel. It would be for the t/p convenience and not an ordinary and necessary expense for the actual rentals.

Sandy

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X