New homeowner credit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New homeowner credit.

I just had a client e-mail me and said his friends said you can get the 8k credit on a new home now and wanted me file his form so he can get it. I guess he will not like my answer that he still has to wait a few months. Hs anyone else had this happen yet this year? The fun is already beginning should be a great season.

He's probably talking about amending 2008 to get the $8K. They are taking 16 weeks to process. Is that what you are talking about? Has he even bought a new house?

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
      I just had a client e-mail me and said his friends said you can get the 8k credit on a new home now and wanted me file his form so he can get it. I guess he will not like my answer that he still has to wait a few months. Hs anyone else had this happen yet this year? The fun is already beginning should be a great season.
      Perhaps the email alludes to this:

U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Shaun Donovan Announces New FHA Loan Permits Using $8,000 First-Time Buyer Tax Credit Toward FHA Loan Closing Costs
      Here is a link to the entire press release:

U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Shaun Donovan Announces New FHA Loan Permits Using $8,000 First-Time Buyer Tax Credit Toward FHA Loan Closing Costs WASHINGTON - Speaking to the National Association of Home Builders Spring Board of Directors Meeting, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan today announced that the Federal Housing Administration

Comment

Yes, he CAN file a 1040-X to claim the first time home buyers up to $8,000 credit NOW for
        the tax year 2008 if he bought and lived in a home during 2009 but before Dec 1. I have filed
        two of these. See irs.gov for details. He does NOT have to wait to claim this on his 2009 tax return.
        Last edited by dyne; 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

That is it.

Burke that is what he is talking about. Is it really taking 16 weeks to process? I would think that it would be better to just wait but they do not want to.

Thanks for the info source.

Comment

Yes. He would have to file a 1040X (paper) and they are manually processing them, so he probably won't get it until end of Dec or Jan anyway. If he waits until 2009, I don't know of any reason it cannot be processed electronically.

Comment

Working...
            X