Vista OP system running extremely slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista OP system running extremely slow

Purchased a new laptop for my spouse with a 32 bit Vista OP and the laptop runs extremely slow both on the internet and not on the internet.

Does it have anything to do with it being a 32 bit opposed to a 64 bit and/or an AMD chip opposed to an Intel chip?

Anyone have experience with this before?

What type of laptop is it? How much ram does it have, and what type of processor is it?

If it is a new laptop it should not be running that slow. I have Vista 32 bit on both of my computers. One is a AMD duo processor and the other is quad. Neither one runs slow.

I am wondering if somehow there might be some adware on it.

Comment

Whenever I get a new computer I do several things to it before I use it. First, I update all Microsoft programs. Second, I do a hard drive defrag. Then I would do a "Disk Cleanup"

If I have programs like virus protection and adware, I would install them first.

When that is all done, maybe 3-5 hours, then I install my programs. When that is all done I do another Disk Cleanup and another Defrag.

Depending where you bought the computer, you may have bought a Refurbished one. Probably not, but thought I would mention it. I have purchase refurbs and have had OK luck but they just never last very long.

There are some free Adware programs out there> google "free adware".
      Last edited by BOB W; 08-25-2009, 03:52 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

It is a Refurb

Acer Aspire 5515
        Vista Home Basic
        AMD Athlon Processor 2650e
        32 bit
        3 GB Ram

70 GB harddrive C with 40GB free space. Seems rather full. Has a D data drive.

I deleted some of the preinstalled software I dont intend to use. When I went to defrag the C drive, it just displays that circle going around and around and its been that way for about an hour. Isn't it suppose to display at least a progress bar while its defraging like XP does?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          Acer Aspire 5515
          Vista Home Basic
          AMD Athlon Processor 2650e
          32 bit
          3 GB Ram

70 GB harddrive C with 40GB free space. Seems rather full. Has a D data drive.

I deleted some of the preinstalled software I dont intend to use. When I went to defrag the C drive, it just displays that circle going around and around and its been that way for about an hour. Isn't it suppose to display at least a progress bar while its defraging like XP does?
          See if you can return it because it has flaws or whatever. Even on a refurb there is some guarantee................

I don't have Vista so I don't know the defrag screen...............
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

You might want to return it. I looked it up on the internet and the original hard drive should have been 160 gigs. So more than likely the hard drive probably went bad and it was replaced. Not sure what you paid for it but I think it sold for $400 new.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              Whenever I get a new computer I do several things to it before I use it. First, I update all Microsoft programs. Second, I do a hard drive defrag. Then I would do a "Disk Cleanup"
              Defrag would be quicker if you did the "Disk Cleanup" first.

Comment

Originally posted by Davc View Post
                Defrag would be quicker if you did the "Disk Cleanup" first.
                I mis-spoke in my first sentence but said it right in a later sentence.

Disc Cleanup then Defrag is the proper order.

Comment

I sought out this thread in order to say something nice about VISTA. I bought a brand new computer at Office Depot about a year and a half back. It was a Compaq Presario and it gave me nothing but trouble from day 1 because it was running VISTA.

This isn't my main computer - it's a computer dedicated to work I do mainly with Excel and Adobe. Without warning, the darn thing would sieze up for no reason when I was right in the middle of something - usually an Excel spreadsheet. I'd leave it alone for a while, and eventually I'd get the cursor back and it would work normally until the next event. For some reason, Adobe files sent it into a panic from time to time as well. No rhyme or reason to the events and about the only common thread was it tended to do this when I was working on something that was time sensitive.

Last week I paid someone to erase the entire hard drive and install XP on the machine. Now it works like a champ.

So now I can say something really nice about VISTA - it's nice to see it gone.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I don't know what it is about vista on some computers. I built mine and haven't had a problem with Vista. I think sometimes it might be that the computer vista is on is maybe just at the os requirements. So that when you start multitasking it can't handle it.

I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 on it. Not much different from Vista. Starts up faster than my old laptop. But what wouldn't it is 5 year old Dell that has been very dependable. I just needed something faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X