Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension

New post,

I have a very,very small partnership, but none the less a form 1065. The partnership ended on 4/20/09 or something close to that date, as you all will probably realize the partners are not talking, so I am trying to perform damage control.

By my calculations, there would be a form 1065 return due on the 4th month 15th day, which would put me at 8/15/09, and I need to file an extension form which would give me 5 months or 6 months? under the new rules.

I hope my dates are correct

Confirmations,

Sandy
    Last edited by S T; 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM.

I agree with 8/15. and it should give you an automatic 5 months extension.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Gretel, for the confirmation of dates.

Sandy

Comment

I just copied this

from the IRS page. It's simply posted to concur w/your assumption and Gretel's answer.

"Generally, a domestic partnership must file
        Form 1065 by the 15th day of the 4th month Day
        following the date its tax year ended as shown at the top of Form 1065.

If you need more time to file a partnership return, file Form 7004 to request a 5-moth extension of time to file. File Form 7004 by the time the regular return is due"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Larry,
          I just prepared the form 7004, and it is out in the mail on 8/13/09 for the short year partnership return.
          I do so few of these, that I always question my dates calendar year is easy, but short year not so much, and as you might of guessed, I always need some confirmation.
          That is what is great about the TB Board, we can always receive yea/nay on confirmations.

I think my next question on this ----- is I can prepare a form 2008 form 1065 using the short year dates, since the form 1065 - year 2009 is not available yet. I would really like to do this and get this one behind me before the start of the 2009 tax filing season. It really is a "very,very, small partnership (as in should have neve gotten to that point).

Can anyone confirm this process for me?

Everyone Take Care, and thanks so much for being on the Tax board

Sandy

Comment

Yes

Yes, Sandy, you can use the existing Form 1065 and write in the applicable dates. Check on the state directions, though, as some states (MA) are fussy about waiting until they release the forms and don't even have write-in spots for dates other than the calendar year. (I did a short year trust that closed in MA and prepared it on the prior year Form 1041 against the instructions, but wrote all over the top in red the dates and the closing date. Warned the client they might get a MA letter, but they wanted it done and over with. Never did hear, so all's well that ends well.)

Comment

Thank you

Thanks Lion, thought so, but I so rarely do one that has a short year, and the new forms haven't been released.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
              X