Routing & Acct Numbers for Banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routing & Acct Numbers for Banks

Most of you are pretty smart and already do this. I am pretty dumb and continue to learn. What I am talking about is getting a blank check marked void by my client for my records when direct deposits are made.
    I use to write down the routing and account numbers and used them for my records. I had a client who was due a refund on Feb 10. Her financial institution had no idea where it was. In checking the routing number I found that it was for a Hong Kong bank no had ever heard of.
    On the site "Where's My Refund" there is a telephone number, extension number to call to get this taken care of. My client has this information and will be calling tomorrow.
    From now on, I will require a blank check marked void to keep for my records. At least I keep on learning.

A Sigh of Relief

I had my client call the "Where's My Refund?" line with the reference number I had obtained on line. They told her the problem was an IRS error and that a paper check would be cut and mailed to her on March 3. All the time I was blaming my self. Live and Learn and dont be so quick to blame yourself.

Comment

The IRS accepted the blame for that error..They said that approx 10000 refunds were incorrectly changed to irs mail instead of direct deposit and a letter will follow to explain this error.

I set up hot keys for the major banks. This makes it very easy; also if the client is new I ask for a void check.
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Change of Banks

Also, be sure to ask the client if they changed accounts or banks. Our software automatically carries fwd these numbers. I had a client where I did not ask, they had changed banks, and her refund went into someone elses account at ther old bank. IRS was of no help (and understandably so). Client was on thier own to get the two banks to correct the transaction, though legally the banks did not have to do so.

Comment

Thanks John; although my software automatically carry forward the numbers, you have to reenter the numbers on the follo wing screen after confirming it with the client..
          Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

change of banks

Originally posted by John of PA
            Also, be sure to ask the client if they changed accounts or banks. Our software automatically carries fwd these numbers. I had a client where I did not ask, they had changed banks, and her refund went into someone elses account at ther old bank. IRS was of no help (and understandably so). Client was on thier own to get the two banks to correct the transaction, though legally the banks did not have to do so.
            John that check should not have gone into another persons account. The name SHOULD match the name on the account before the IRS can deposit money into that account.

I did the same thing you did because the information carried over from the previous year and I forgot to check with my client before I e-filed them. The IRS would not deposit the check because my client had changes their account number so the check was mailed to the client. It only took a week or two longer than normal.
            ken

Comment

bank numbers

Ken:
              You're right as long as IRS procedures are followed by IRS.

I had a client who was among the 10,000 who direct deposits were mailed because IRS changed the routing numbers on our software and supposedlly sent the deposits to a Hong Kong bank. Now they are telling my client her check with be printed on March 1 and mailed to her. A 3-week delay from the date the DD should have been made.

Comment

Working...
              X