Audit Question, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audit Question, Please

My audit client via the auditor is having SE tax assessed because of Schedule C adjustments disallowed, even though the overall Schedule C situation was negative. How the heck does someone assess SE tax on adjustments? What about the loss? Sorry for the griping. This does not make any sense. Am I missing something?

rfk

Rephrase of thought

Let me clarify that after the adjustments that a loss still exists. So there would still be no SE Income, therefore no SE Tax. So .. I am still at a loss (no pun intended) for an answer.

rfk

Comment

Dunno. I think they are training new folks. Maybe your auditor is learning the ropes.

Will you keep us informed?

Comment

Ridiculous

I thought I had seen everything, but this takes the cake...

Comment

I know

that with Sch C still showing a loss there can be no SE Tax but I don't know where to find a Cite that would prove this to someone who does not know it. Perhaps reference to Sch SE and/or its instructions would suffice and failing that I would be inclined to ask for a Supervisor.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the auditor is under the mistaken impression that there is now a gain on the Sch C. I have found that it sometimes helps to write out the math like a fourth grader's homework.

Comment

The Auditor Saw the Light

Update with loss on Schedule C exclusive of Adjustments. The auditor in our voice conversation this morning stated that she did not know what she was thinking and said that there is no SE Income and therefore no SE Tax.

She realized this between a voice message left yesterday afternoon and a phone call this morning. This is a great outcome for my client and me even though my client still has a big adjustment, with related "income" tax due.

rfk

Comment

Sounds like the light probably turned on on the drive home for her. We all have our moments.
              "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
              Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Their software screws this up quite a lot. Always recalc the SE tax; for some reason the software does not seem to automatically update; it has to be keyed by the auditor and sometimes they forget.

Comment

Originally posted by rfk View Post
                  My audit client via the auditor is having SE tax assessed because of Schedule C adjustments disallowed, even though the overall Schedule C situation was negative. How the heck does someone assess SE tax on adjustments? What about the loss? Sorry for the griping. This does not make any sense. Am I missing something?

rfk

SE Tax only kicks in when
                  1. Net SE earnings are over $400, or
                  2. You are a church employee with over $108

Comment

Working...
                  X