Social Sec Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Sec Benefits

Just had a long-term client call and tell me he was eligible to receive his SS benefits now that he was 62, and would I go ahead and file that for him. Amazing. Do you find you are expected to know all the details of the Social Security/Medicare/Disability system?

If it has tax in the description, we're all experts. Same with those items which are paid for directly by tax dollars, like Medicare/Disabilty. Makes for some good learning!
    "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
    Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Yes, I do find that to be the case. I keep a little information at hand for the easy questions but I also keep the local phone number for SSA handy. I'd rather field the SS questions than to have them call me up and ask what number goes on line 37 of the FASFA form.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

The really bad part

is that if we make a mess of say a FASFA or Social Security matter most of us won't get any help from our E & O coverage.

Burke, I hope you set the guy straight.

Comment

Ssa

I am going to say, that I have assisted, but I do rely heavily on the SSA.gov website for Q&A, actually it is pretty good, If you decide to assist your client, that would be all it should be, an assistance, and gathering of information. After my contacts with SSA, the T/P will ultimately have to speak with the SSA reps to apply for the benefit and furnish the information.

From experience, the only other option is that your T/P would have to sign you on as a Representative, or give authority to the SSA rep to speak to you. You think IRS is a problem, SSA is worse! Even the POA-Rep form to be processed is NOT easy, at least not from my experience.

I have managed to handle my Mother-in-Law's account, and my husbands account without Rep authority, but that in itself has been difficult.

I might add, I do like assisting some of the seniors on their SSA/Medicare Accounts, as it is just so confusing for them, but it does take time, and patience.

Good Luck,

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 08-04-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

If your client is still in good health and working, I'd try to talk him out of applying so early.
            But every situation is different.

I will assist a client in applying; even charge 'em for it. Several times the client has come in with necessary information I told him in advance to have with him, and we've sat down at the computer and applied on line, all within 30 minutes. Don't need to talk with any SS reps atall. Just have to mail in birth certificate to the specified address of course.

It's easy.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Ss

Yes, my clients assume I can deal with their SS questions, and ERISA and insurance of all types and their contractor's license with the state and a huge variety of legal issues and anything at all vaguely federal or state or official. I have a lot of web sites bookmarked and a lot of telephone numbers to give out.

Comment

Social Security tried to talk her into applying early

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                If your client is still in good health and working, I'd try to talk him out of applying so early.
                But every situation is different.
                I am acquainted with a woman who applied for Medicare the necessary few months before she reached age 65. She intends to wait until age 70 to apply to start Social Security benefits in order to get larger benefits. You have to call Social Security in order to apply for Medicare. When she called Social Security to sign up in Medicare, the representative kept trying to persuade her to apply to start the Social Security benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                  is that if we make a mess of say a FASFA or Social Security matter most of us won't get any help from our E & O coverage. Burke, I hope you set the guy straight.
                  I did. Since he is computer illiterate except when it comes to looking up his stock investments, it was easier for him to just go down to the local SSA office and take care of it. I did advise him he would need a certified copy of his birth certificate and a copy of a check for direct deposit information. I also discussed waiting for the benefit, and told him of the income limitations for recapture but he has always used OPM (other people's money) and he doesn't care. Good point about the E&O situation. I can use that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                    Yes, my clients assume I can deal with their SS questions, and ERISA and insurance of all types and their contractor's license with the state and a huge variety of legal issues and anything at all vaguely federal or state or official. I have a lot of web sites bookmarked and a lot of telephone numbers to give out.
                    Same here. Luckily I was in the life insurance business for 32 years, so I have a good understanding of that, but you are correct. I am contacted for anything tax-related, financial, legal, investment, registrations/licensing, filing state corp forms, you name it. Just had another long-termer call (elderly but quite smart/lucid) about my notarizing a hand-written codicil to his will. Regarding his girlfriend. Right. Gently referred him to his attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by OtisMozzetti View Post
                      I am acquainted with a woman who applied for Medicare the necessary few months before she reached age 65. She intends to wait until age 70 to apply to start Social Security benefits in order to get larger benefits. You have to call Social Security in order to apply for Medicare. When she called Social Security to sign up in Medicare, the representative kept trying to persuade her to apply to start the Social Security benefits.
                      Typical government beaurocratic mentality. Reminds me once when I had lab work at the doctor's office. That independent tried to bill Medicare for reimbursement and it took me six months to convince them I didn't pay for Medicare B.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                      X