1st time home buyer - just got married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time home buyer - just got married

Client got married in 2009 and bought home in March 2009. Qualifies for first time home buyers credit.

Question is how do we do that if we amend 2008 return. They were not married in 2008 so there were 2 returns.

Assuming house is in the name of husband and wife, whose return gets the credit? Does it matter?

As a point of interest, I was talking to IRS earlier in the week. Amended returns are now taking 12 to 16 weeks to process because of the HIGH volume of first time home buyer credits that have come in.

Thanks

Linda

Have Same Problem

Will anxiously wait the response!

Comment

I would tell them they need to file it on their 09 return married. I believe somone said it was taking 12-16 weeks anyway (puts us in december), might as well wait and do it right.

Chris

Comment

Thank you

for the length of time information (3-4 months). I have a client coming in 30 minutes that wants his money right away. I've tried to convince him 2009 is better plus he won't have to pay my fee for amendment.
        Larry

Comment

Well like you and I said, they are not going to get thier money "right away" regaurdless. I think I would amend the primary on the loan return.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X