State of California FTB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of California FTB

My son in law received a letter from the State of California FTB today.
    Notice date: 07/24/09
    Account Number: XXXXXXXXXX (Not a SSN or Business ID)(X are not the real number on the letter).
    The balance due on your account is $4,732.34
    Tax Year 1983
    Form Number FTB 4166 ARCS (Rev 06-2006)
    What action is suggested I take on his behalf?
    Do you think this is real like its been 26 years?
    The address on the letter is my home.

There was a note attached stateing to call the number listed on note, immediately.

Anyone from California thst could should some lite on this, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kurly

this fits the pattern

Originally posted by Kurly View Post
    My son in law received a letter from the State of California FTB today.
    The balance due on your account is $4,732.34
    Tax Year 1983
    Form Number FTB 4166 ARCS (Rev 06-2006)
    Do you think this is real like its been 26 years?

It has been true even in the past that the California FTB goes after some very old tax balances due and some very old unfiled returns or unreported income. Now that they are in their current state of fiscal distress, the priority appears to be even more on the collection of revenue.

So, I would be inclined to think that they may very likely have some basis for asserting there is a tax debt 26 years old. Maybe their skip tracing workers have only now found what they think is a way to track down your son-in-law.

EA in California

Comment

FTB Notice

You should be concerned, you could:

Look up the form number on the FTB forms website and read the instructions as to what this form is for.

Was your son working in the year that they are assessing? Is it possible He did not file that year?

Also verify the phone number on the letter received with the official number on the FTB website.

You son should be the one to speak to any FTB employee as you may not be authorized.

If all else fails, write a certified letter to the FTB and ask for more information as to what the nature of the assessment is. Be sure to send a copy of the notice.

Hope this helps

Bob

Comment

Calif FTB

Calif FTB definetly on "fishing expeditions" I have received (from clients) several notices.
        Generally speaking the account # does not always match the SSN# - not sure why that is.

FTB phone contact numbers depending on the notice would be

866-204-7902 - Filing Enforcement Section (Individual)
        800-478-7194 - Filing Enforcement Business Entities
        800-852-2753 - Some type of underpayment assessment
        800-852-5711 - General Phone # (Taxpayer Services Center)
        916-845-7057 Tax Practitioner Services Hotline
        800-689-4776 - Collection Contact (Personal)

Here is a link to other phone contacts http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/misc/1240.pdf

I agree, you should be concerned, and you probably should obtain a POA, although sometimes California will talk to a "Professional" without POA and at least let you know if the request is valid.

Did your son-in-law ever use "your" address??? He wouldn't have the same last name, I wouldn't think - so that in itself seems a little odd.

Can you tell from the notice whether or not it appears to be a legitimate notice from Franchise Tax Board, with State of Calif Seal, or a picture of the actual State of California and Usually states State of California, Franchise Tax Board, with a PO Box, Sacramento, Ca 94267-0011

Good Luck, and keep us posted,

Sandy

Comment

Did he ever hold a business license in CA for any type of licensed professional during the time period in question? That could trigger an SFR if he didn't file.

Comment

Working...
          X