S corp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S corp question

A client had a C corp and he rolled it into an S corp and with that he rolled over retained earnings. Now he's looking to distribute that money in the form of a dividend and I understand all of that. My question though is this is the first year the S corp may report a loss. If it has a loss, will it reduce the amount of the rolled over retained earnings by that loss amount?

Thanks.

S Corporation losses do not reduce C Corporation retained earnings. The S Corporation losses run the S Corp AAA into negative figures, while the C Corporation earnings and profits remain the same. The only way to reduce C Corporation earnings and profits without liquidating is to distribute them as a taxable dividend.

The example in TTB on page SB3-9 makes reference to this:

Example: Kurt owns 100% of Trumpet, Inc., a C corporation. Trumpet
    has $25,000 of undistributed earnings and profits when Kurt converts to
    S status in 2008. Kurt’s basis in the stock of the C corporation was $7,200
    before the conversion. After the conversion, the corporation passes
    through a loss of $15,000. Kurt’s deductible loss is limited to his basis,
    which is $7,200. The remaining $7,800 in losses carries over and will
    not be deductible until Kurt increases his stock basis. The loss does
    not reduce earnings and profits

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I'll review it in my Tax book further.

Comment

S-Corp loss

If he does not have enough equity in the S-Corp the losses from the S-Corp may be suspended due to lack of basis. You should work with the client to help the with the costs. Perhaps he should lower his wages to prevent his S-Corp equity from going in the negative. For example if his wage is currently $200k and he is expecting a 50k loss you could reduce his wages to $150k and be in pretty good shape.

Obviously you will want to review all of your clients information and do not rely solely on my information here.
        I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Sova Is Back

Matt, welcome back - we've missed your keen contributions and the Michigan flavor that sometimes comes with them.

Things are getting better - U of M could actually rebound to 6-6 this year.

Comment

I have to say I was quite happy to see Matt's name myself

Comment

Working...
            X