Signing over exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing over exemption

I have a client who supports her unmarried daughter and granddaughter. She is the only one in the home with income. It appears Grandmother will be able to claim both daughter and her grandchild providing her daughter releases the exemption to her.

On what form is this done?

Thanks, Dennis

Either Form

Either Form 1040 or 1040A.

Comment

Exemption

Thanks Jainen,

I thought according to the wording "releasing the exemption", this would have to be done on some type of formal form signed by the Mother of the child. Guess not.

Dennis

Comment

I think this is the form you are referring to. Yes I ended that sentence with a preposition; I supply the bad grammar and Jainen supplies the sarcasm.

If I tried to be sarcastik, I would probably make a spelling error.
        Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

normal tax return

Me, sarcastic? Maybe a little wry.

Form 8332 is only for separated parents. In the case of two relatives living with a Qualifying Child, either one can claim the child. If they both claim the child the tiebreaker rules apply, but otherwise nothing extra is needed. Just file the normal tax return.

Comment

jainen may have appeared to be sarcastik with his answer, but the correct answer IS either Form 1040 or 1040A (1040EZ won't do). In that situation, the election is made simply by doing it.

Just do it.

Comment

Copyright infringement

Nike's atty will be in touch with you Bees.
              I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Working...
              X