Copy of tax returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy of tax returns

Who do I have to give a copy of a tax return I prepared? I have received a demand from a law firm to give them copies of a clients tax returns.

It is my understanding that I only have to gie the client copies.

Copy of return

Originally posted by neallove View Post
    Who do I have to give a copy of a tax return I prepared? I have received a demand from a law firm to give them copies of a clients tax returns.

It is my understanding that I only have to gie the client copies.
    Taxpayer only. He can give the law firm a copy. He can authorize you to give the law firm or anyone else a copy.

The law firm has to subpoena your copy if it wants one without the taxpayer authorizing it.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

one additional consideration

If this is a divorce situation, and you get client to sign the required release to disclose to a third party, be sure to get both husband and wife's signature if a joint return.

Otherwise, you may provide a copy to either party to give to lawyer.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

If you do receive a subpoena, be careful about providing the information to quickly. If it's an adversarial situation the other party is allowed a certain amount of time to attempt to quash the subpoena . To quick can lead to you being sued. I know of a case where it happened.

Comment

be careful

You should also be careful when "discussing" anything about one of your clients (even discussing that they ARE your client!) - also dont forget to get your "copy fee" UP FRONT (esp from a lwayer!)

Comment

Working...
          X