Home Office/Part Year ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Office/Part Year ??

My client started a consulting business that was his only source of income in 2004. He had a home office that met the requirements of exclusive and regular use. In 2005 he continued the business through January only, and then returned to the 9-5 (yuck) world of employment. He has 2005 self employment income of over $20K, since some of his '04 reciepts were paid in '05. Can I still deduct home office expenses for the month of January? Or does he flunk the exclusivity test because he stopped using it as an office during the year?

If this deduction is legit, does anyone have a good way to fudge this into the forms? My program has no place to enter a 1/12 factor on indirect expenses, or depreciation calculations. I think I know what the end result needs to be, just having trouble seeing the way to get there. Thanks

You should use the office at home for the month of January. By the way Fudging is not a popular word for most tax preparers. Your software should be able to compute the depreciation for one month by entering a disposition date. As far as the other indirect expenses, can't you enter what was paid in the month of January?

Comment

Working...
    X