Dependent Student Expenses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent Student Expenses...

One of my client has her son, who is 21, studying outside of the USA. Student is attemding a University in Latin America. Parents are paying tuition, boarding and other related expenses out of their pocket. Permanent home address is domiciled in the USA since Student is an american citizen. Student will be back in USA territory as soon as his degree is completed. Is there any regulation(s) which would allow the parents claim some deductions for this dependent student? I am aware that the Law has a territorial jurisdiction, but since this student and his parents are US citizens probably there is some regulation(s) in the IRS Code that I am not aware of...Any Serious professional comment will be highly appreciated..
    Last edited by RDALMASI; 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional Information needed....

Need a little more info

Is the student planning to return to the US after he is done with his studies? Also, is he doing his studying as part of getting a degree from a U.S. college or university?
    "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
    Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

College expenses

can be taken as Hope or Lifetime Learning, etc. credits for costs for attending at any college, university, vocational school or other post-secondary institution eligible to participate in a U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid program. The listing of eligible institutions, including many out of the country can be found on the FAFSA website.
      I just did done last week that went to a school in Canada that qualified.
      AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
      X