Mulitple Year Amended Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulitple Year Amended Returns

When you have several years (6) of amended returns do you submit them all at once in one envelope with a cover letter or separate? Have done it both ways but would like other opinions.I have such a situation I am finishing.

Separate envelopes. There's too much of a chance that the processor will batch everything in a single envlope together and not notice that multiple returns are enclosed.

Also, I think it's a very good idea to use certified mail with return receipt. Cost is about $5 more per envelope, but I can tell you from recent experience that having those return receipt cards in hand can save a lot of hassle.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

A Step Further

I recommend clients hand deliver them to the IRS and NCDOR and only mail to foreign states. Course I would imagine that not everyone practices as I do in a place where both the IRS and the State Taxing Agency have offices in the county seat. But I recommend that clients take the returns in and ask for receipts.

Comment

Separate envelopes is advisable. More than one return could be viewed as duplicate returns.

I have mailed 3 amended returns in one envelope, with a cover letter stating which return to prepare in what order as a 2005 amended affected a 2006 return which had a NOL that was carried back to 2004 (and amended for items that did not change any carryforwards). We were also nearing a statute of limitations timeframe for the amended 2004 return and did not want to risk missing it by filing the returns individually and the returns being processed out of order.

The GA DOR has advised to file in separate envelopes as it is a frequent occurence to assume that multiple returns in one envelope are duplicates.

Comment

Working...
        X