State Law Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Law Updates

Georgia recently passed a tax credit for first time homeowners. I just had someone call asking about it. I did not know one thing about it. Had not even heard of it. The person that called said that a real estate agent was advertising it and she wanted to double check it.

My questions is do ya'll know of a service or website that will give updates on state tax laws/tax credits? I kinda felt dumb not knowing. He said he called the preparer he had used for years and she did not know about the federal home buyer credit. I knew about it but not the state Which it was just passed in May 16.

Georgia

Google came up with this.

Georgia Homebuyer Tax Credit Signed • More good news for local home buyers. Governor Perdue signed the Georgia Homebuyer Tax Credit yesterday, which will
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Thank you. I actually found something similar when on the phone with him and just read it. Guy wasn't a client... was just calling to ask the question. I told him I honestly did not know about it. I guess I need to watch the local news more often. I'll try to do a little research and see if Georgia has a page that has updates.

Comment

State Law Updates

What I suggest you do, is contact your State Tax Department and request to be placed on the listserv e-mail list when notices from the tax department are released.
        I highly doubt that your state wouldn't have such a service.

I'm on the lists for my state (New York), and am continuously getting e-mailed as soon as the technical service bulletins are released for income tax, sales tax, corporation tax, miscellaneous taxes.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Georgia

I tried the Georgia DOR site, and they have a "news" tab, but apprarently a work in progress, as there was NO NEWS.

So Uncle Sam has a good idea, I have subscribed to several states obtaining info that way.

Sandy

Comment

Yeah I saw that on Georiga. As always running behind

Comment

Like Uncle Sam's Idea

Does anyone know if NC and SC have this process and if so the easy way of getting on the lists?

Comment

Erchess,

Here is a website you can see the bills the governor has signed into law during this session. If there is a bill that you are tracking that hasn't been signed you can do that too.

You can sign up for email alerts from the following states: Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Lousiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusettes, MIchigan, MInnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas and Wisconsin.

If other states are available I would like to know. It's been a while since I signed up for these.

Were you able to find the information you needed on the credit? I don't believe you have to be a first time homebuyer to receive the credit. Here is a link to more information on the credit:

For those of you who are not aware of the terrific legislature we have here in Georgia, the Governor signed a bill 4/6/09 to conform to the $250,000 sec 179 for 2008. My software just updated to allow the increased amount.

Comment

Originally posted by CinSee View Post
                  You can sign up for email alerts from the following states: Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Lousiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusettes, MIchigan, MInnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas and Wisconsin.

If other states are available I would like to know. It's been a while since I signed up for these.
                  Virginia has it.

Last edited by Burke; 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Here's a link to the signup for NCDOR e-alerts:

Tax Updates Email List The Department of Revenue publishes information that explains the various taxes imposed by North Carolina. This information is now
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Thank You JohnH

Does anyone know if the great State of South Carolina has something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                        Does anyone know if the great State of South Carolina has something similar?
                        Yes. www.sctax.org/News+Releases/newslist.htm to register.

Comment

Working...
                        X