IRS Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Forums

Anyone attending any of the various IRS Forums this summer?
    Jiggers, EA

Irs Forums

I am going to the one in NEW YORK.

Comment

Me too

I'll be ion NY as well.

Comment

I would like to attend at least one of them, but I refuse to because I feel strongly that a fee should not be charged. Our tax dollars already pay for their time. Why should we pay for the seminars? I don't mind paying for my expenses, but not theirs. Once they get us used to such nonsense, it becomes acceptable and precedent.
        Dave, EA

Comment

Irs Forums

It still is the least expensive CPE'S around and I always pick up some useful information about the upcoming tax season.It is also nice to see the new programs and talk to the banks on there changes for the new year.Plus see in person the people I talk to on the phone from the software people.

Comment

Originally posted by dsi View Post
            I would like to attend at least one of them, but I refuse to because I feel strongly that a fee should not be charged. Our tax dollars already pay for their time. Why should we pay for the seminars? I don't mind paying for my expenses, but not theirs. Once they get us used to such nonsense, it becomes acceptable and precedent.
            I guess they need to cover the rent for the facilities, which is not a small token at these places. Well, I have attended only one forum two years ago. I liked it and planned to go to San Diego. However, I will not be able to do so or to any other place because of money restrains.

Comment

Las Vegas....

is the forum I've attended for the past 3 years. The first year I attended the fee was $79....then $99.....then $159.....and now $209!! I'm guessing $249 for next year. Why Vegas? Cheap accommodations, cheap airfare and someone said you can find a blackjack game somewhere in town. FYI, Vegas draws about 4 or 5 to one over the other forum locations and not all of them are from from California.

Comment

I won't be going for three reasons

Each of these reasons alone would be sufficient to stop me from going.

1. Cost. There's no money in my budget for face to face continuing education this year and I can think of several I would go to in preference to these.

2. As a matter of principle, I resent paying the IRS for anything connected with my being in the tax business including the payment to continue as an EA. Seriously, every cycle I think about joining the ranks of the unenrolled. I feel the public and even the IRS benefit more than I personally do from my being an EA and keeping my skills and knowledge current and even growing. Even a fee per return filed would be less regressive than a one size fits all fee.

3. The IRS is my opponent in the taxing process, not my partner. If I were a criminal defense attorney I would be slow to attend government sponsored and especially court or prosecutor sponsored continuing education. For the same reason, it is important to me to make sure that if I am educated in a given year by only one outfit on a particular subject that outfit is not the IRS. If I am educated on a given subject by two or more outfits, it's fine for one to be the IRS.

Comment

A man of principle

Originally posted by erchess View Post

...As a matter or principle, I resent paying the IRS for anything connected with my being in the tax business including the payment to continue as an EA. Seriously, every cycle I think about joining the ranks of the unenrolled...
                  and nothing wrong with that, but no sense in going too far there, EC-EA; those certificates aren't that easy to come by. One of these days they're liable to actually put that licensing thing into effect and you'd be up the well-known creek without it or a paddle. Besides it's not that expensive and lots of professionals have to buy a government license -- even your barber. Hang on to that EA (don't "cut off your nose to spite your face"); it may come in awful handy in a few years.

Back to the subject -- I don't go to any IRS forums; just to a two-day university-sponsored seminar and some correspondence CPE.
                  Last edited by Black Bart; 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

IRS Forums and CPE for EA's

Not wanting to pay for CPE is not really wanting to do your job properly.

Medical professionals are required to have CPE, that they pay for.
                    Lawyers are required to have CPE, that they pay for.
                    Teachers are required to have CPE, that they pay for. My wife always had to, anyway.

I would be afriad that I could not do my job properly without keeping up with the tax code.

You can only read so much free stuff from the IRS.

Networking with fellow tax preparers is very important.

I have learned a lot of practice management from them that has made my business profitiable.

I have attended only one other IRS Forum in the past and liked the ability to pick and choose which sessions to attend. Gave me more time to visit the many vendors.

I do take 1040, 1065, 1120, 1120S CPE every year. And I have to travel for it as I am in a small hick town.

I am considering going to the IRS Forum in New York.
                    Last edited by Jiggers; 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
                    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Irs Forums

Do to the type of practice I have and the fact that I am doing more representation each year I find the forums very important.I always have at least one case I have resolved @ the case resolution room that has gone a long way to paying for the trip and last year even though they say just one I was able to set up two appointments and resolve both cases that I had spent hours on the phone with.

Comment

Maybe Next Year

I'm a Cubs fan; maybe next year. IRS Forums are on my to-do list. This year, my software users' conference (ProSystem fx) is within driving distance in Maryland and I've never attended. So, I'm going to spend my time and money and attend that. I get live education from the topics in my local CtSEA and NY/CT-ATP dinner meetings and all-day and two-day events without expensive transportation or lodging. And, a few freebies from the IRS TeleForums. Maybe the IRS Forum in NYC in 2010.

Comment

I never understood why they don't do a rotation for locations. With 6 seminar locations each year, you could be in every major metro area every 4th year. The $206 is a bargain in my opinion but for me it's the $600+ in additional travel and hotel expense that will determine my participation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                            I am considering going to the IRS Forum in New York.
                            Don

If you (and Kram & ML42 and others) come to NY stop by and say hello. I'm presenting two sessions for NAEA (Responding to a Correspondence Audit & Schedule E, E is not for easy) in New York, Orlando and Atlanta.

Lion wrote: "I'm a Cubs fan; maybe next year". FYI - Chicago is not on the Forum circuit this year. I'm led to believe the Hilton and other hotels were not availble?? Don't know if Chicago will be back in 2010.

Roberts wrote: "The $206 is a bargain in my opinion but ....". If you are a member of any of the six IRS partners, NAEA, NATP, AICPA,ABA, NSTP, NSA, you get a discounted price. Ask your association for their price code.

Comment

Working...
                            X