Twitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twitter?

Does anyone use twitter? If so is it a helpful for your business? I signed up for an account and am still trying to work out the bugs and see how it works. Hopefully just another tool to keep in contact with my clients during the off season.

Originally posted by superman View Post
    Does anyone use twitter? If so is it a helpful for your business? I signed up for an account and am still trying to work out the bugs and see how it works. Hopefully just another tool to keep in contact with my clients during the off season.
    I don't even know what Twitter is.

Comment

Twitter

DTS,
      Twitter is similar or like Facebook or My Space

here is a link that gives an overview http://onlinepublishing.suite101.com...w_does_it_work

Sandy

Comment

Twitter ll

So, are you and I going to start Twittering or shall we stick w/email?

Comment

Not Me

No twittering, facebooking or my spacing

Email and phone, thank you

Sandy

Comment

I don't use Twitter or Facebook either.

But, it's being used more & more each day by both individuals and businesses. Businesses are using both in conjunction with websites, etc. It's known by communication, marketing, and advertising professionals as "social media", and is a significant part of their strategic planning.

In the long-term, it seems all of us better learn more about this process.

Comment

Marketing

If you're trying to attract more clients, you want to be "out there" in as many ways as possible. If you're trying to communicate with your existing customers, you want to use the methods that make them comfortable. Our business is built around privacy, so personal communications with clients are one-on-one, such as e-mail, telephone, etc. But, blogging about proposed tax laws or posting newsletters or other general communications can be posted on your own web site and sites such as FaceBook, Twitter, MySpace, and others that will crop up.

Comment

Twittering

From what very little I've gathered from this is that it more like a blog that ALL can read?? If so, not a good thing as far as client privacy goes?

D

Comment

Well, kinda

Originally posted by DTS View Post
                  From what very little I've gathered from this is that it more like a blog that ALL can read?? If so, not a good thing as far as client privacy goes?

D
                  I don't use Twitter but my understanding is that you can send a message to only one person or to any subset of the people who have linked to you. Generally however, what people do with Twitter is reach out to a fairly large number of people at one time since if you wish to reach out to only a few IM or Email should serve your purpose quite well.

The main reason I personally do not use Twitter is that the messages have to be very short. I forget the exact limit but it's too short for anything complicated.

Another little point is that I don't think Twitter is especially secure. It isn't really intended for intensely private matters such as communications between any professional and one client. It does have clear advertising uses if you are interested in reaching people under thirty or thirty-five.
                  Last edited by erchess; 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I never could get into MySpace when it came out. If I had people I wanted to communicate too I would email or call them. Yes the messages on Twitter are short 140 characters. Probably would not be good for our profession as we have to go into so much detail about a IRS update of any kind I don't think 140 characters would cover it But I can see MySpace and FaceBook being used. The "creep" factor bothers me though as every one on there can see your information. I know they can anyway with a website but atleast on MySpace it opens it up even more. Like I said alot of creeps wondering around on there.

A blog for your website would be very good. I am working on converting my website to Wordpress.

Comment

time??

I don't have time to spend on Twitter, my space, facebook, etc. I don't have enough hours in the day for the things I NEED to do and the things I WANT to do.

I wonder when all these people that have the pages and blogs get their work done, clean their house, spend time with their family, study the Bible, read a book, do their yard work, etc... the list could go on.

My life is my life and not open to the public on the internet. Guess I am showing my age.

Linda

Comment

Twitter me NOT!

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                        I don't have time to spend on Twitter, my space, facebook, etc. I don't have enough hours in the day for the things I NEED to do and the things I WANT to do.

I wonder when all these people that have the pages and blogs get their work done, clean their house, spend time with their family, study the Bible, read a book, do their yard work, etc... the list could go on.

My life is my life and not open to the public on the internet. Guess I am showing my age.

Linda

Don't feel alone - every word you stated could have been my own, especially the last sentence!

While I enjoy many of the wonders of technology, "instant" communication is not high on my list for tax work. There is much to be said for face-to-face encounters, even if infrequent, and even a telephone call can be far more productive than e-mailing and/or texting. Some clients might even call it (and rightfully so!) "handholding."

One client with a very complicated return (rental properties, investments, and more) sent me EVERYTHING on a CD-ROM. All reportable documents, spreadsheets, rental property statements, contribution receipts, you name it. I did NOT have to ask him for much more! Interesting way to do things.

Privacy would concern me somewhat, and (as you can tell!) I would probably have a difficult time keeping to 140-character messages!

FE

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post

Linda
                          I am with you Linda; word for word. Could not have said it better! Thanks, now I don't feel left out or behind on "stuff".
                          SueBaby

Comment

Working...
                          X