Community Property Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Community Property Question

My client is married. He and spouse are CA residents. He is self employed. Gross income is $40,000. Deductions are $500 from pre marriage depreciation. $1,000 from pre marriage inventory. $14,500 post marraige expenses. Igf they choose to file MFS do I give them each $20,000 of icome and $7,250 of expenses and then my client the other $1500 of expenses or just split the net 50-50 resulting in $14,000 each?

Pre-marriage

I would give the $1500 to the pre marriage expenses.

How do you split up wages? Do you use a substitute W-2 with an explanation? I have always talked clients out of filing MFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
      My client is married. He and spouse are CA residents. He is self employed. Gross income is $40,000. Deductions are $500 from pre marriage depreciation. $1,000 from pre marriage inventory. $14,500 post marraige expenses. Igf they choose to file MFS do I give them each $20,000 of icome and $7,250 of expenses and then my client the other $1500 of expenses or just split the net 50-50 resulting in $14,000 each?
      You will also need to split the income into its two components: pre and post marriage. Then apply the appropriate expenses to the split income. She will not pay any SE tax on her share of the self-employment income; he will have to pay all of the SE tax on both pre and post marriage SE income.

Maribeth

Comment

Working...
      X