innocent spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

innocent spouse

I have a client who divorced in 2008. I filed her 2007 return MFS because the now ex would not share his financial info. I filed her 2008 return and the state held her entire refund do to unpaid taxes in 2005. She then got a notice recently of state taxes due for 2006. It seems the ex had been trading online for years and either didn't report it or reported it incorrectly, not including his cost in the shares sold. It is now catching up with them. My client knew nothing of his online trading nor any of their financial info. He took care of all the finances in the house. She just signed the returns. I am wondering if there is anything equivalent to the innocent spouse/injured spouse at the state level? I fear this is only going to get worse for her and he is already behind on child support and can not keep steady employment. Would filing those forms at the fed level carry to the state level?
    Thanks ahead for any input.

What State?

Midwest is a little vague. What state is taxing her?

Comment

Kansas is taxing her.

Comment

I would

check with the Kansas Department of Revenue which undoubtedly has a website and phone numbers that you probably already know. If you don't know them you can find them with your favorite search engine.

Comment

Working...
        X