Partnership distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partnership distribution

I am looking at a K-1. My client's share of liabilities (item K on the K-1) is $91,904 and is non recourse.

The beginning capital account is a negative $34,000

The income for the year is $3390 and the distributions for the year are $6,663. As the debt is non recourse and not qualified non recourse or recourse, and where the distributions exceed income by $3,273 I am thinking that the client has to report $3,273 as income. Is this correct? If so, what type of income is it?

Off the cuff

If he's essentially out of capital, isn't he essentially selling back his shares of the partnership, resulting in a capital transaction? I might be confusing basis and capital here.
    "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
    Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Normally, the $3,390 would be taxable. However, since the partner has a negative balance in his capital account, it may not be. You (or he) should have been tracking his tax basis all along and completing F-6198 (the At Risk form) each year when applicable.

You should also be alert to the possibility that the K-1 may be incorrect. Mistakes are often made when classifying and allocating liabilities among the partners. If your partner is a limited partner, and the debt is not "qualified nonrecourse," the K-1 may be correct.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Welcome Back

Roland Slugg!! Welcome back to the board. One of the most helpful people, and accurate too.

Comment

Working...
        X