Pro Series Evaluation Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro Series Evaluation Software

I am evaluating Pro Series before renewing with Taxwise for the next tax season. I received a 2008 Evaluation Software and it will not load on my laptop. I get an Access Violation error. I spoke with tech support and they said it was my laptop. I reinstalled a new hard drive and my operating system XP Professional and had the same problem. I put the CD in my wife's laptop and it loads fine. Anybody else have any trouble like this and if so any suggestions on how to fix it. I got rid of all my anti virus antii spyware, I tried in safe mode and nothing worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GTS1101

Originally posted by GTS1101 View Post
    I am evaluating Pro Series before renewing with Taxwise for the next tax season. I received a 2008 Evaluation Software and it will not load on my laptop. I get an Access Violation error. I spoke with tech support and they said it was my laptop. I reinstalled a new hard drive and my operating system XP Professional and had the same problem. I put the CD in my wife's laptop and it loads fine. Anybody else have any trouble like this and if so any suggestions on how to fix it. I got rid of all my anti virus antii spyware, I tried in safe mode and nothing worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GTS1101
    I cannot suggest a quick fix, but I will, if I may, describe my experience the last year I used Pro Series. I was unable to load the software at the start of January. Tech support suggested this, and suggested that, and we went round and round in circles. Finally, after three weeks of this nonsense I was lucky enough to reach a senior tech who said "this is no problem, just delete file XX. It is in sub-directory A". I did and the program loaded with no problem. After tax season, we moved offices and when we tried to work on extensions we found we could not print to any of our printers. Finally, after three weeks of this nonsense I was lucky enough to reach a senior tech who said "this is no problem, just delete file YY. It is in sub-directory B". I did and we could print with no problem. After considering the level of tech support we received, we changed software and have never looked back. I hope you can resolve your problem.
    Christopher Mewhort, EA
    mewhorttax.com

Comment

Pro Series

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I believe I would be very frustrated during tax season if I had to wait three weeks for the software to get working. I can't afford that kind of wait time during the tax season. The tax season is my bread and butter. I make the bulk of my income during tax season. I am curious as to which software you switched to. And did you like the new software? What did you use before Pro Series? I like the direct entry method so there are not that many choices out there. If Drake allowed direct entry I would go with them but they don't. Thank you again so much for your input. It will help me make a wise decision come next tax season.

GTS1101

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I believe I would be very frustrated during tax season if I had to wait three weeks for the software to get working. I can't afford that kind of wait time during the tax season. The tax season is my bread and butter. I make the bulk of my income during tax season. I am curious as to which software you switched to. And did you like the new software? What did you use before Pro Series? I like the direct entry method so there are not that many choices out there. If Drake allowed direct entry I would go with them but they don't. Thank you again so much for your input. It will help me make a wise decision come next tax season.

GTS1101
        I am not sure if any recommendation I make will be of any use to you. I think every tax practice might have different needs. My practice requires excellent technical support, low traffic across a distributed network, very high speed of tax form completion, and a reasonable price. I have used (I think) 12 different tax software packages. Before ProSeries I used ATX which had many forms but lousy support; then ProSeries which worked after a fashion but had lousy support, and now Drake for the past five years. I use Drake support extensively for their tax program and that support is pretty good. Drake support for their CWU program is worse than useless.
        Christopher Mewhort, EA
        mewhorttax.com

Comment

Hi Chris,

Drake allowed direct entry I would go with them but they don't. Thank you again so much for your input. It will help me make a wise decision come next tax season.

GTS1101
          Drake does have something very near direct entry. Ctrl+G causes a Form 1040 to pop up. You can then click on the 1040 line and it takes you to the Drake input screen. I can never remember all of the forms for adjustments, credits, etc., so I use the Ctrl-G to find it, then make the necessary entries.

Comment

Working...
          X