Amend 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amend 2007?

I was going to amend the 2007 1040s for a family. I'm doing this because the parents did not claim a dependency exemption for the student daughter as they should have.

But could this have an effect on any stimulus check which the daughter may have received? I'm thinking that it should not. The amount of the stimulus check is determined by whether and individual can be claimed as a dependent by another. So I conclude that whether someone is actually claimed would be irrelevant.

I think i can safely amend 2007 without any problems.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

thanks

(btw, i don't know if the student daughter actually received a stimulus check or not. Certainly i could ask if needed.)

It seems to me

that the IRS will determine whether or not to send a stimulus check by the way the tax return is filed. The IRS doesn't know whether or not the child is a dependent unless claimed by the parents. The child could provide more than half her own support, and then not qualify to be a dependent.

Comment

Originally posted by tacks View Post
      I was going to amend the 2007 1040s for a family. I'm doing this because the parents did not claim a dependency exemption for the student daughter as they should have.
      But could this have an effect on any stimulus check which the daughter may have received? I'm thinking that it should not. The amount of the stimulus check is determined by whether and individual can be claimed as a dependent by another. So I conclude that whether someone is actually claimed would be irrelevant.
      I think i can safely amend 2007 without any problems.Can anyone confirm this for me?
      thanks(btw, i don't know if the student daughter actually received a stimulus check or not. Certainly i could ask if needed.)
      The daughter should not have received a stimulus check unless she filed a return and claimed herself (and qualified, of course.) If that is the case, you have more than one return to amend. You must amend the daughter's and "unclaim" herself.

Comment

Thanks for responding, Burke.

The daughter did claim herself. And yes, i'm aware that i could not amend the parents return without amending the daughters also.

So i imagine that the daughter did receive a stimulus check. And i'm just wondering how a 1040x would affect the daughter's stimulus check. Would they request that part of it be returned? This will affect whether i pursue it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tacks View Post
          Thanks for responding, Burke.

The daughter did claim herself. And yes, i'm aware that i could not amend the parents return without amending the daughters also.

So i imagine that the daughter did receive a stimulus check. And i'm just wondering how a 1040x would affect the daughter's stimulus check. Would they request that part of it be returned? This will affect whether i pursue it or not.
          You can go online to www.irs.gov website to determine whether daughter got stimulus check or not. As far as I understand the rules, the daughter will not be required to pay it back. Neither will the parents get it by claiming her.

Comment

Thanks again, Burke!

Comment

Working...
            X