Wow, guess I'm still grouchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, guess I'm still grouchy

Guy came in January wanting me to tell him how to get his farm info together. I stopped printing my W-2's and gave him a detailed, thorough lesson. He came back April 10, with all his receipts, surprised that I'd have to get him an extension. Called Monday, "How's that tax return lookin?" I told him, "It's lookin about like it did when you brought it in, and you'll be the first to know when it's done. Thanks for asking." Click. If the extension was a surprise, just imagine when he gets the bill for going thru his receipts...

Another guy just called 10 minutes ago: "What do I do? I just got this letter from IRS saying I left off income on the tax return."

Me: "Well, did you?"

TP: "Yeah."

Me: "Write em a check."
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

That's funny, RC. I can relate.
    Last edited by tacks; 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM. Reason: Couldn't get the 'funny' smilie face to work

Comment

I am so tired

Of people coming in now, "Well, I guess you're glad tax season's over!" Like now, I'm living the life of Riley, nothing to do.

My office is still a wreck, payroll tax returns out the wha-zoo, and about 12 people's return info here, ready for me to get 'em done. At my leisure, of course.

Hmm. OK, I've never typed "wha-zoo" before. That really looks wrong, huh?

Comment

For a new client

RC, in your OP, I THINK I would have gotten a retainer.
        (grin)
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Not a new client

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          RC, in your OP, I THINK I would have gotten a retainer.
          (grin)
          Good idea - I may wish I had done that...

His wife died in 2008 (40's), and she always kept up with everything.

I have wondered if he killed her. All he talks about is how much trouble he had getting Farm Bureau to pay the life insurance proceeds...ya'll keep me in your prayers. Maybe I should have been a little nicer Monday...
          Last edited by RitaB; 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I've got two new (possible) clients that have surfaced since 4/15/ Both multi-year non-filers. In one case 8 years of maybe I filed maybe I didn't, I was self-employed some years and worked for people the other years and I have some files but they aren't really organized.

In other words this summer is starting off like the last few.
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Agree - never stops

I agree. It seems like it never stops. I had a man come in Tuesday morning to do his return. Just one W-2 but he was having a hard time getting his kids social security numbers because he and wife are getting divorced. He was only here less than 30 minutes and had 2 calls while he was here with people with letters and could they stop by.

All handled very easily but.......give me a break!

I've got quarterly bookkeeping and payroll reports to do too. Then my software company calls me to remind me to reorder before the end of the month. I told him I thought they should give us till the end of May. My busy months not over yet.

BUT we will SURVIVE! Need a beach day of listening to the ocean.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
                I have wondered if he killed her.
                Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Did you wonder about that when you were in a GOOD mood???

Comment

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
                  Of people coming in now, "Well, I guess you're glad tax season's over!" Like now, I'm living the life of Riley, nothing to do.
                  I get tired of people asking during tax season "I'll bet you're busy now."

I wouldn't be as busy if I didn't have to answer the quetion 2 billion times every tax season.

Comment

It just keeps getting better

Trend Micro won't scan, and when I called tech support, I get a guy with an accent, named "John" (yeah, right) who didn't know anything. At one point he actually said, "Kindly type in "t" as in Tom, "i" as in INDIA, "s" as in Sam..."

If I weren't so grouchy, (and now afraid for my life, because of the aforementioned farmer dude), I would have laughed on that one.

Comment

Oh My Lanta

Client who moved (thank God) just called: "You have our 2007 return on your computer, right? Could you look up our income for me right quick? I'm filling out an application...blah, blah, blah..."

I interrupt: "How about I just e-mail you the entire return? What's your e-mail address?"

Caller: "It's xxxxxxxx56@aol.com. Now, that "@" is not the word "at" it's a little symbol..."

Comment

RC,

Your original post reminds me of several comments made by myself and my co workers early on in our careers when we were 'juniors.'

We've often found the senior level accountants to be very grouchy.

Why are they 'such XXXholes?" We wonder.

But over time we start acting exactly like them.

Comment

You think you got it bad??

April 7th I get a letter from city Code Enforcement; calling my property 'blighted' and listing violations about tree limbs over the sidewalk being too low, the requirements for what contstitutes proper groundcovers and its maintenance, and a general violation of 'unsightly, unhealthy, and/or blighted conditions'.

Now granted all of my lawnmowers except the weenie plug in electric have been broken all winter (but my roommate did do most of the front yard with the weenie mower at least once) and the weather has had a rain/warm sunny/rain thing going all winter that has caused the grass and weeds to proliferate more than usual and I've been giving directions as 'big white run down house with the overgrown yard', but sheesh! So I call up and explain tax season, working 15 hours a day/7 days a week, roomie that is supposed to keep up w/mowing had his foot run over by a forklift at work and has been on crutches, broken mowers, yada, yada. Roomie fixes riding mower, and stressed, i order him out to mow. Just had a rainy spell, so wet grass promptly gums up mower and breaks belt. Again. Code enfocement lady sounds sympathetic, notice has 2 weeks on it, but seems like she'll give me more time.

So April 18th, the first day I've had off in months, I drag roomie down to Sears and we get a brand new Snapper, electric ignition big honking rear wheel drive 9 speed mower. I get the thing charging and get out my high wheel weed whacker and get to work on the front yard. I don't even care that its 95 degrees. Whack all day and mow all day sunday. Front yard is looking good. Lady calls me on the 22nd and says, hey, I see you did the space outside the fence, but the rest? It doesn't look like you did anything.

What!!!!!! WTF!!! Turns out, she doesn't mean my yard, or the front area, she is talking about my entire 3.6 acre parcel, most of which is a field which has always been covered by the city fire codes. Weed abatement. She says, no, since you have a house on your parcel, its not a vacant lot and the whole thing is covered by setback yard maintenace standards. I've been there 10 years, the house has been there 70, and its been a frikking vacant lot all that time. Luckily we have a drought or they would require me to irrigate it and keep it as lawn. This is insane. She gives me a week to get it mowed, whacked, and cleaned up.

My roomies dad had a big tax bill I helped him with. Asked for his riding mower. Asked my out of work tenants if they'd like to exchange some rent for labor. Get total strangers to help. I'm coming home from work and mowing and whacking until dark. Thursday nite my roomies and me are cutting tree limbs with chainsaw by flashlight (Take that! whoever ratted my out...you get to hear a chainsaw at 9:30 pm). Yesterday tenants & friends show up, roomie brings over dad's mower....and dads mower breaks down within minutes.

We did about an acre by weed whackers alone. I found a guy with a tractor who will come over tomorrow. the city can kiss my butt.

Oh, and I have about 12 returns, new clients, one with 4 years to do and a wage garnishment starting the 1st. I have a sick cat, an infected finger, bills all over the place, a CSTC planning session this weekend in So. Cal, two classes to write outlines for at work, a Canadian tax class to finish, and stacked up caseloads at work because of having to do another department's work.

And people wonder why I'm still stressed.

Comment

Joan, I wonder if you are using your time to the best of your advantage. You have so much income producing projects waiting. It might be better if you hired the yard work done and used your time to bring in money. Even though you will pay out money, you might make more in the end. And your stress level will go down.
                            You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Joan - wow

Ok, you "win". I can't top that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X