sale of goodwill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sale of goodwill

My client sold his relationship with his clients to a company. This is goodwill created over several years. I want to sell it on Schedule D as a capital asset but since it is self created I don't know what the acquired date should be or should I just check the box for short term or long term?

Magnum P I

Were there any assets in the sale? Such as cash, receivables, depreciable equipment, etc? Are you aware of the 8894 requirements?

Where I am headed is that (in general) not ALL of this sale is a capital gain...

Comment

Originally posted by MagPM View Post
      My client sold his relationship with his clients to a company. This is goodwill created over several years. I want to sell it on Schedule D as a capital asset but since it is self created I don't know what the acquired date should be or should I just check the box for short term or long term?
      When you say "sold his relationship", are you saying he sold his client list? his client base?
      Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by MagPM View Post
        If your client merely sold his customer list, then it is recorded as a long term capital gain. If he also received payment for a covenant not to compete, then he has ordinary income.

If he was operating as a corporation, then we need to talk some more

Comment

Working...
        X