Professional Organizations Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Organizations Again

I am an EA who is not a CPA nor a JD nor a financial adviser of any sort. I currently belong to NAEA and NATP and it is renewal time. I would like advice. I do actually have the ability to continue in both organizations or if I were to drop one I could replace it with another but I'm not going to simultaneously belong to three organizations. Organizations that I believe would take me and whose existence I am aware of are the NSA and the NSTP. I have visited both of their websites without being strongly impressed but I am ready to listen to opinions from here.

1. If there are any other tax related organizations that would be interested in me I'd like to know they exist if only as a matter of curiosity. I'd also like to know what organizations responders belong to and what values you find in them.

2. If anyone thinks I can gain clients by belonging to one or more professional organizations I would like to hear from you.

Personal Reflections

No professional organization I have seen offers Continuing Education as cheaply as CPE Depot so unless I am mistaken about the price issue Continuing Ed is not going to draw me to a professional organization

I like belonging to the only organization that looks out specifically for the interests of EAs and also to an organization that is interested in anyone who wants to do taxes for pay. I personally perceive virtual unanimity in the tax community that some level of minimum education and training would benefit both the public and the profession but that such level should properly be well below that of an EA.

Erchess...I have been a pro for 14 years and have never been a member of any association because, like you, I don't see anyone out there that really puts the word out to the public about what an EA is and why they should be used to do taxes.

NAEA has been around for all the time that I have been in business. It just urks me that people think we are CPA's and that the general public does not know what an EA is or does. I don't think NAEA has done much publicly in this area. I find this totally disappointing.

I just signed up with NATP...not really sure I will get any benefit from becoming a member.
    DIY programs are not a replacement for a good tax pro

Comment

Naea & Nstp

I joined NATP several years ago and didn't see much benefit to it. I tried to call about a question I had and was told I was calling at the wrong time. At that time, you could only call the person that was taking calls in the afternoon between certain hours. I didn't know that and found the gentlemen very rude.

When I became an enrolled agent, I joined NAEA. I think they are trying to get the word out more about EA's. The state organization's play a big part in that. Florida has a very active FSEA group. They do a lot of promoting of EA's. Our local chapter of FSEA meets monthly. So in order to be part of FSEA, I must belong to NAEA.

I have attended the Georgia Society of EA's convention about 3 years ago. They had an excellent program. It was on Jekyll Island.....beautiful. But I don't think you must belong to NAEA to go to the state EA convention. You probably just pay a higher rate.

Florida EAs have a tax practice management workshop every year that about 20 people attend. You must be an EA and run your own tax business. This is mainly to discuss how we run our businesses and share ideas with each other. Again I don't know that you have to belong to NAEA to attend. But that is how I found out about these things.

I joined NSTP a couple of years ago. Beanna Whitlock is the main reason I joined. I think she is an outstanding lecturer. I have called her several times when working on merging s corporations into LLCs. If she is out of the office, she will call back as soon as she can. They send out the Fedeal Tax Alert every other month. I have used that several times during the tax season to look up questions clients would have about the new tax laws.

If money was tight, I guess I wouldn't belong to these organizations. Being on my own, I like having a connection with some group that I can call on for assistance if I need it.

Linda

Comment

Organizations

I see very little benefit to any organization other than one in which you enjoy the social contacts. Mostly CPE-driven organizations are only interested in promoting seminars. The most helpful thing you can join is a forum such as this one and several other tax-related groups. An experienced tax professional probably has more need for software-related questions and answers than for tax questions.

Comment

Nstp

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
          I joined NSTP a couple of years ago. Beanna Whitlock is the main reason I joined. I think she is an outstanding lecturer. I have called her several times when working on merging s corporations into LLCs. If she is out of the office, she will call back as soon as she can. They send out the Fedeal Tax Alert every other month. I have used that several times during the tax season to look up questions clients would have about the new tax laws.
          NSTP has good publications. However, Beanna Whitlock left this past year. I understand that based on information posted on their webboard that the board was doing things that were not correct.

I did drop my membership after reading those issues and because Mrs. Whitlock had left.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

very interesting

That is very interesting. I knew she was not serving in the same position but I just thought it was because she had been doing it for so long and needed a break.

I will have to do more investigating. If that is the case, that the board is doing things that arn't correct. I might cancel that too.

But I don't think I would join NATP.

Guess I would just stick with NAEA, for now.

Linda

Comment

I have been a member of NATP for quite a while, probably at least 15 years, and have served on the BOD for my state chapter, including several offices, including President. So I have had much contact with the Natl Assn due to that. I have been satisfied with the benefits related to cost of membership. And it has much improved over the years, but there are always politics in any organization. I also, as a result, have an in-depth knowledge of the difference between state chapters as well. Some do not have state chapters. Some state chapters do nothing for their members. My state was one of the larger ones and very active, with a 2-day state conference, 1 day with IRS and State officials. We often traded awards back and forth with New York, which is one of THE biggest and most active. They do their own "dog and pony" show all over the state for continuing ed each year, audition and pay their instructors, etc. So it depends on which state you are in as to how much you may benefit. Although anyone is entitled to all offerings from National, who does continuing ed workshops all over the US, and a National Conference as well as weekly emails, monthly and quarterly magazines, and a research benefit to members. To me, any tax-related education is a good thing.
              Last edited by Burke; 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

kaimana, I agree

with your note. I too joined NAEA when I first received my license. I've also been a member of NATP for 15+ yrs. I dropped the membership in NAEA after a couple years mainly because not one of my clients ever heard of an EA. I know educate new clients as to what an EA is.
                I felt the magazine from NAEA was good and was well written. And I do understand they do lobby for us. But NATP does also. For my dollar I believe NATP is good.

Comment

Professional Organizations

The one concept that hasn't been mentioned is that NAEA's sole purpose is to promote EAs. The one common bond is the EA license.

The other organizations - represent both licensed and unlicensed practitioners simultaneously.
                  Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

NAEA and others

I love the NAEA, mostly for my local CtSEA chapter with great people and programs. NAEA has had EAs on the Today Show for two years running answering tax questions about 1 April for several hours with amazing national publicity and Jean Chatzky and the Today hosts getting the word out that EAs are the go-to professionals for tax issues. I've enjoyed the pubs from NATP but haven't heard of any local programs. My favorite organization is just local, the NY/CT-ATP with the best and cheapest programs out there and a membership fee of $50 or something small like that and a great web site where I can find members who use my software or live nearby or.... Check the web sites of your competitors to see what they belong to.

Comment

Organizations

I might as well chime in now.

One of the invaluable benefits of membership is the networking provided, especially at
                      state meetings and even at national conferences, such as NTPI sponsored by NAEA in
                      Baltimore every year. Sure, we get a lot of good information from boards like these, but
                      bending elbows with fellow tax pros, is an opportunity to share experiences, especially about our tax practices. Last August for example a bunch of us went out to eat in Baltimore every night and also to see the Orioles play one night. Where else would you find such a group of EA's from Arizona, Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan, California, and several CPA's who are also EA's talking taxes between innings?

So while I'm on the subject, I'll mention the upcoming meeting of the SC and NC EA societies' meeting next month in Charleston, SC. Already we have a small group from
                      Alabama, Ohio, Virginia, NC and Pennsylvania meeting for tours and happy hours.
                      Oh, and of course 18 CPE hours including the two in ethics.
                      As if we NEEDED more ethics! (grin

So if anyone in NC or thereabouts is listening, contact me for more details.

Hmm, I wonder if Taxbook will have a booth there. Brad?
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I give them an F

If NAEA's sole purpose is to promote EA's then they are sorryly missing the boat. It has now been 15years since I first heard of them when I got my license and Joe Public still knows nothing about us....what are they doing other than seminars and social gatherings for their members?
                        DIY programs are not a replacement for a good tax pro

Comment

I have to say

that everyone I have ever met who knows what an EA is either is a tax or accounting professional or heard from me for the first time what an EA is.

On the other hand, I don't blame NAEA for that entirely because they can only do so much with the money they have. The American Public is collectively stupid and focuses too much on wrong things. I don't know how many tax clients I have had who do not want to understand their taxes. Some of them just want to give me what I think I need, get upset if I ask questions or ask for more documents and ask me only for the bottom line on the return and where they should sign. I know I don't have to say this here, but a good tax return for someone with more tax issues than just employment related income and the standard deduction involves cooperative work between the tax payer and a professional throughout the year.

Comment

ChEAr$

I went to GSEA convention a couple of years ago. There were people there from CA and some other states. It was on Jekyll Island and was an excellent seminar. I am rather shy when I am in a group that I don't know well. But they were very welcoming.

I am sorry to say that I have not been as impressed with some of Floirda's conventions. This year I will go to Florida convention for 1 day only since it is in driving distance for me.

I would go to North Carolina or South Carolina if I felt the topics were beneficial to me.

This year I am going to one day of FSEA and I am going to do the NCPE seminar. It has been several years since I last took it and want to do that again. I can drive there daily from home so no hotel expenses. I will also go to our Tax Management Workshop in November.

ChEAr$, that is a great networking time. It is around 20 EA's who have their own businesses. We have Thursday afternoon, all day Friday and Saturday morning that talk about our practices and we handle differenct situations. Some have employees and some are working alone. I think this has been a great help to me. If you want more info, email me. We have had one gentlemen come from Missouri 2 years ago and last year a couple from Pennsylvania came.

Linda

Comment

Referrals

I've had some calls from the database NAEA keeps, so some taxpayers know to look for an EA for tax questions. I still think the Today Show publicity is amazing. I've had people mention it to me; I then can say that Ray LaLuna is president of my local group or that I took a course from Frank Deegan or yes I know XX XX.... I have their brochures to hand out when someone asks what an EA is. And, I published a version of it on my web site's newsletter page entitled "So, Rita's an EA.... Just what does that do for ME?" I liked their local newspaper campaign introduced this year in selected areas in which EAs were willing to participate; hope it rolls out more widely next season. Why don't you give NAEA your suggestions for publicizing EAs to the general tax-paying public? We EAs need all the help we can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X