Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fist time home buyer-financing restrictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fist time home buyer-financing restrictions?

Taxpayer (couple) never owned a home. They can not get a loan in their own name-don't have sufficient credit. Can parents co-sign on the loan and couple still get the credit? I know they can not get the credit if they acquire the home by gift or from a related party, but as long as they are legally responsible for the mortgage and their name is on the title will it fly? Could the parents make a cash gift to the couple and part of the gift proceeds then be used by the couple for the downpayment? Your thoughts?

Originally posted by Art View Post
    Taxpayer (couple) never owned a home. They can not get a loan in their own name-don't have sufficient credit. Can parents co-sign on the loan and couple still get the credit? I know they can not get the credit if they acquire the home by gift or from a related party, but as long as they are legally responsible for the mortgage and their name is on the title will it fly? Could the parents make a cash gift to the couple and part of the gift proceeds then be used by the couple for the downpayment? Your thoughts?
    I think they are good to take the credit.

Comment

I agree, as long as they are the ones actually paying for the house, they are eligible for the credit. The mortgage has not much to do with this, some people pay cash.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. The credit will really help them out.

Comment

Working...
        X