Business growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business growth

Is now the time to solicit for new business?

Just wondering, is now a really good time or a horrible time to call small business owners with the goal of meeting with them to discuss transferring their small accounting and tax jobs? Seems like most clients who are unhappy with their current accountant / tax preparer would be most motivated to talk right now after just dealing with them.

Opinions? I have the Frank Salman video and it seems like now is the time to start contacting potential clients.

As I sometimes say

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
    Is now the time to solicit for new business?

Just wondering, is now a really good time or a horrible time to call small business owners with the goal of meeting with them to discuss transferring their small accounting and tax jobs? Seems like most clients who are unhappy with their current accountant / tax preparer would be most motivated to talk right now after just dealing with them.

Opinions? I have the Frank Salman video and it seems like now is the time to start contacting potential clients.
    "It's never too late to make a good first impression." (grin

Seriously, yes, this is THE time to let it be known that you are, like the U S Marines,
    "looking for a few good men." And women of course.

In fact selling yourself is a 365/366 day business, that is IF you want new accounting
    clients; which I don't, since these days I tend to be shy and retiring.

Well, the latter at least.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I agree - now is a good time

Like CHear$ says - It's always a good time. I don't want to work any harder right now either. However, I do want my employees to work. Some people are disatified with their long time "lack of" a good relationship with their tax prepayer and think it is just too much trouble to change. Show them that you offer them services they are missing now - like returning their calls in a reasonalble period of time, an extra few minutes of time to genuinely care goes a long way in building confidence.
      Jeannie

Comment

Consider the Time Involved

Remember that Marketing takes time, effort, and money just like the flagship work of preparing taxes. I am fortunate that I work alone from my house, and don't have personnel and overhead to support. Whereas I am quite content to collect $50-$60/hour, I would have to charge $100/hour if I had payroll and an office.

With such overhead, I would then be constrained to seek business. I believe all of us agree that word-of-mouth is the best advertising. However, word-of-mouth travels slow. The skills to market are not the same as the skills to prepare taxes.

The public may be enraptured with a knee-slapping, down-home plowboy countenance or the demuere poise of a lovely woman. If you happen to be either of these and still maintain expertise with taxes, I admire you and envy you, but you are the exception and not the rule. Marketing requires the skill of someone comfortable with the public such as involvement in civic clubs, or appearing on local TV hosting questions/answers from inquiring taxpayers.

Be advised that if you are coming off four months of working 80-90 hrs/week, you are still going to have to put in several hours of marketing time, effort, and money during your "slow" season. Marketing is more than just an engaging smile and pretty face -- it is hard work.

Comment

And empasize that you're available via email (asuming that you are).

Not everyone will appreciate this, but there will be potential clients who will jump at the opportunity if they know they can communicate with their accountant/tax preparer at any time by sending an email. I always emphasize that I respond to emails faster than I return phone calls.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

E-mails - the other side

Like everyone else, I was amazed by the speed advantages, proximity advantages, and technology of e-mailing over the last 10-15 years. During tax season I often work into the wee hours of the morning and use e-mail to communicate rather than waking up my clientele.

However, it can be trifling and inappropriate. For example, some clients use e-mail to make appointments. This is really bad. Often 4-5-6 e-mail messages will banter forth for several days before a suitable appointment time is reached. It is commonplace for me to propose an appointment time, and before the client responds, someone else calls and makes their appointment for the allotted time spot.

Sometimes I come in and look forward to getting caught up on my work, and when I get to the computer, I am greeted by an hour's worth of e-mail messages I am constrained to respond to. Instead of getting started at 7:00, I get started at 8:30. Most of them are from clients, so I can't ignore them -- however for the most part they are trivial or unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
              I have the Frank Salman video and it seems like now is the time to start contacting potential clients.
              What did you think of Frank Salman? I found his website. Wondering if the information you got was worth it.

Now is definately the time. I had a few leave CPAs and come to me because of my lower price. These were one/two person businesses. So people are shopping around. I need to do some marketing myself.

Comment

We need to have a discussion about email management. If you follow a Delete/Do/Delegate/Defer routine and apply a 2-minute rule, you'll find that emails are a snap to deal with.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  We need to have a discussion about email management. If you follow a Delete/Do/Delegate/Defer routine and apply a 2-minute rule, you'll find that emails are a snap to deal with.
                  So, John, when are you going to post this new thread? I would like to see your thoughts or routine on this.

I'm like Nashville, a ton to answer all day. Very time-consuming, but necessary.

Please share your thoughts on this when you have some sparetime (from answering emails )

D

Comment

I started a new thread regarding email, just for fun.
                    It's called "E-Mail--> Best Practices"
                    I'd love to see input from others on this subject.
                    Last edited by JohnH; 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

A good impression

was probably not made by me today.

Phone rings, fellow asks for "Harlan". I immediately tag him as a salesman from
                      God knows where, eg. Las Vegas, ATT "authorized", anywhere. I ask "Harlan " who?
                      he replies with my last name, but still I'm thinking "salesman"!

So I give him a quick tirade on good business practices, you know, the ones we were
                      taught long time ago? Like using "Mr" when you don't know someone well?
                      Emily Post kind of etiquette, which I recommend to him as a way of a refresher course in
                      proper business communications. Then I add as usual that I don't buy anything over
                      the phone. Goodbye. Hang up.

Then I look at the display on this new fangled phone I bought at Wal Mart, the kind with
                      a little window display which shows the phone number calling and if available name of
                      person whose phone number it is, even to extent of "unknown caller." It's a local number,
                      with a real person's name, not one I recognize of course.

Darn! Did I just lose a prospective client?
                      (grin)
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I've done that before. The phone showed blocked number but it was a customer. I did not greet them very well when I answer the phone. I try to say Mr and Mrs. Ms......If I can understand what their last name is

Comment

Working...
                        X