Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not nonsense.

Originally posted by Uncle View Post
    Nonsense. Clients brought me data on 3.5 diskettes, cds, and flash drives this year, and I had no problem using any of them. My files go back 34 years and all are available and easily readable. Some of my client's paper files have moldered away to the point of being unreadable and unusable within a dozen years. Trying to reconstruct basis with boxes of moldy unreadable papers sure puts your claim of 5,000 years in the proper perspective.
    It's just Burke's opinion (and mine) that there's less risk with paper -- techie buffs have been warning me of dire consequences for 30 years, but my office hasn't burned or flooded yet. On the other hand I've experienced several computer crashes, while the repair person comments "Geez, it's an '03 model?"

And it's handier to have a paper copy. Just pick it up and read it -- there's nothing quicker.

Charge for paper file/paper copies? It strikes me as just more of today's trendy business model -- AKA "the race to the bottom" whose core philosophy is "How can we get more money from people while furnishing less than a reasonably expected service (a paper copy)?" Yeah, I know we can do a lot of things to our clients, but it doesn't mean we should. Why aspire to a service level comparable to menu-robot customer service phone lines?

If you're truly enthralled with exotic whammofrazzers, then by all means continue to mouseburn your PDFs into the Twilight Zone. I -- and Burke -- and JohnH -- and others know full well that the New Order's mandated efile is coming for us, but meanwhile, may we fossilized Neanderthals continue to ride our old nags until that horseless carriage arrives (we'll appreciate it)?

P.S. Mold? That's a bit thin, isn't it? Could I claim "Rust" in rebuttal?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle View Post
      Some of my client's paper files have moldered away to the point of being unreadable and unusable within a dozen years. Trying to reconstruct basis with boxes of moldy unreadable papers sure puts your claim of 5,000 years in the proper perspective.
      I did exactly that last year and I don't know how I could have otherwise. A new client came in with a return which included rental properties he bought in the early 80's, and no detail on how the depreciation was calculated (or why it was even still being taken). Just a figure on the Sche E. Former preparer had died. All returns through 2006 were still hand-written on paper! Even I don't do that. But he was able to produce all 20+ years of returns and I had no trouble reconstructing the basis on 3 different properties. Call me a pessimist, but I like back-up in the traditional mode.

Comment

Depreciation

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        A new client came in with a return which included rental properties he bought in the early 80's, and no detail on how the depreciation was calculated (or why it was even still being taken).
        So, uhh... why was he depreciating residential rental property beyond 27.5 years?

40-year ADS?

BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

That was my question exactly. And why I wanted the returns. Especially since if they were purchased in the early 80's when ACRS was in place, the depr should have ended after 15, 18, or 19 years. He didn't remember the exact dates of purchase.
          Turns out a couple had significant improvements done later on at various periods. He also originally owned one property with another person who died some years later, and the deceased's interest was bought out by my client, so his basis was increased at that point.
          Last edited by Burke; 04-18-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

efile - copy to client

I efiled all the returns I did this year. I had only 2 rejects for the reason Snag mentioned. SOmeone else claimed a child that wasn't supposed to. I took the child off the return and efiled it so they could get some of their money back. Then I did an amended return for them so that the miscarriage of justice could be righted.

I don't ask clients which they would rather do. I just tell them all that I electronically file all tax returns that I do. Some ask if I do it on the internet and I tell them I file through my software company. I do give them the option of having the refund directly deposited in their bank account or getting a check mailed to them. I have less than a half a dozen that get checks. I even offer those owing money to have it deducted from their bank account and surprisingly several did so in the last couple of years.

I give all clients a paper copy of their return. I will always do this because when I give it to them I go over the return with them explaining the entries. They can ask questions if they don't understand something. If I have made a mistake, we catch it then. Then they sign the 8879. If only one person comes in to pick up the return, I give them the 8879 to take home and have their spouse sign. I give them an envelope with my address already on it to mail it back to me. Or they can fax it to me if they have a fax machine.I get them back in a couple of days usually.

For me, my system works great so I will keep doing things this way. Transmitting the returns and picking up acknowledgements takes only a couple of minutes when I do it. TaxslayerPro doesn't charge for efiling so I don't have any added expense there.

I agree it is the way to go and will eventually be the only way that IRS will accept.

Linda

Comment

P D F

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
              Paper copies to all clients. I'll give them a .pdf if they ask for it.

I'm not going into the modern age without some sort of fight. I have a cell phone. It's never turned on and I have it only for emergencies. No client has the number. I'm not interested in those Blackberry thingies either.
              Pretty **** Feisty, ain't ya? Kudos for fighting the good fight!

Hurray to the flash drive and those nifty little external hard drives for back ups! Use those all the time
              Me too. Beats the tar out of those diskettes.

Comment

Yeah, and a pretty good supplement to the stone tablet & chisel I still use for the really important long-term stuff.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Bart, I think you are very progressive with those smilies

Comment

Aw...

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                    Bart, I think you are very progressive with those smilies
                    shucks, , thanks, but t'warn't nothin' -- besides, I swiped 'em from somebody here on this board. I have, however, upgraded to a plain paper copier.

Comment

I think John might be in the market for a good used chisel.

Comment

Working...
                      X