NT / How Come Truck Drivers Think Their Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT / How Come Truck Drivers Think Their Returns

Are special or mysterious or something? I hear it two or three times a year, most recently today. Guy pulls in, (driving the truck, no less): "Do you have room for one more client?"

Me: For 2008? No. But, I can get you an extension.

Truck Driver: Do you know anybody who can handle truck driver returns?

Me: Yeah, anybody in town. Here's a copy of the yellow pages.

TD: Gee, thanks! I've been on the road for a month, and my wife is opening a day care, and we've just not had time to deal with this.

OK, what was he doing Jan 1 - Mar 15? And, after hearing about the day care, whew, could there be a worse scenario for whoever got them? Well, maybe a beauty shop...
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Another time and place

Years ago when I lived in another town and worked for the company that introduced me to this business, I did for several years running the return for a lady who had an in home day care and her husband who was a truck driver. I personally considered the truck driver's to be the harder of the two Sch C's because of all his meals. He had really great records and I felt it necessary to calculate the allowance using actual expenses, using the high rate and low rate numbers, and using the "every place is different" numbers. She was basically pretty simple except that the rules at that time allowed her to claim as her home office all the rooms used by kiddies even though comparatively little of the house was used only as her office. She had a lot of meals and snacks of course and the usual toys and books, playground equipment, and so on. I guess each C would take me an hour to work up. I started doing them the first season after I sat for the EA exam and in my opinion it would have been futile for anyone who would have had a problem with their return to sit for that exam.

What I remember most about them is that they were very much in love with each other and both very fond of having me take care of their taxes and well even though it has been over ten years, I miss them.

Comment

Actually, one of my nicest cleints

Is a truck driver. But, I have to do EVERYTHING for him. He's very appreciate, always brings me a little gift when I see him on Oct 15 for pickup. Haha!
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I trained my truck driver well. So well in fact, I use his idea of his 'tax account' for my other self employed clients. He put 25% of his pay into his 'tax acccount'. Since his wife worked and had withholding, he usually had some left over after he paid his estimates (always using my vouchers always timely), to pay for repairs and any unexpected expenses. Quit last year to be a househusband, but his records were always meticulous.

Comment

Working...
        X