Post Office Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Office Service

Two weeks ago our local Post Offices decreed they would not be open past 5:00 pm for Tax Day, April 15th. Just left nearest branch, with 10 envelopes for various things, all tax-related including one full of extensions, and the lady refused to put date labels on 6 of them since they were only 1 ounce apiece. Handed me 6 stamps. Like I could not have done that at the office? I want the PO receipt showing where the items are going! She said she was hurrying to "get everybody out of here today," and it took too much time to do label tapes. I looked behind me and there was no one in line in the lobby. This was at 4:30. So we argued a bit during which time she could have done the labels, but I learned a new rule. They are "not supposed to do more than 5 labels at a time." After I took a few minutes to pay, I picked up my 6 envelopes and took them to the main Post Office where they happily label-taped them for me. Well, I don't know if any of them were happy, but they were trying to expedite things along -- going down the line and selling stamps to people who only needed those, etc. Boy, it is only going to get worse. Although I will say, staying open until midnight was always a little over the top. People will procrastinate as long as possible if you let them. I learned that lesson real well this season. Next year, my extension date is moving up from 4/1 to 3/25. I'm done and I'm goin' home....
    Last edited by Burke; 04-15-2009, 04:43 PM.

"Post Office Service"

Is that what they call an oxymoron?

Comment

You betcha! Although the other guy who works at this branch is always helpful. I hope and hope when I am in line and its my turn, that I get him and not her. She needs a new job. This one is not making her happy.

Comment

e file?

Why don't you electronically file the extensions? I'm not going to sit in line to mail anything I can file electronically.

You get confirmation within hours.

Linda

Comment

Avoid at all costs

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
          Why don't you electronically file the extensions? I'm not going to sit in line to mail anything I can file electronically.

You get confirmation within hours.

Linda

I concur with Linda. There are two places I avoid under all circumstances: 1) post office and 2) banks

Aside from keeping life simpler, my blood pressure can stay at a manageable level.

(I especially approach stroke level when the PO folks break out their little measuring device to see how "thick" my envelope, or perhaps then it is a "package," is. )

FE

Comment

I efile individuals returns and the related extensions. However, I'm so f*&%ing tired of applying for efile privilages (filing entity returns) and establishing passwords, user names etc., that I still print out and snail mail extensions for all business entities. I just took the last one to the post office. The clerk said I made the deadline by 2 minutes to get todays post mark on the envelope. They close at 4:00pm. Service...I don't know what that means these days.
            Dave, EA

Comment

I still mail extensions except for last minute ones... those I get on th 14th and 15th. I took a envelope full of extensions Monday. Since Taxwise charges $2.00 a pop on efile I don't mind going before the 15th to the post office. I always dislike going. There is maybe just two there that are helpful and/or friendly.

Comment

No charge

TaxslayerPro doesn't charge extra for electronic filing through them.

I know that program doesn't work well for some of you, but it still works great for me. And no extra fees.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                X