Please HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please HELP

I have a tax client who wants to report wages earned in Afghanistan (worked for a Texas company now in Dubai) - he received NO W2 or 1099 from a company called DYNCORP. Should I make a "substitute" W2 for client - or ignore the "earnings" - or since that income will probably be wiped out by foreign earned income exclusion anyway go ahead and put the amounts reported by the taxpayer?
    I am at a loss?

I'd work up a rough estimate and file an extension, which would allow time to sort out the "what if's" and providing breathing room do it right without deadline pressure.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Foreign employers aren't required to issue a W-2. There should be a way to enter the wages to line 7 of the 1040 in your software. If you are efiling, it needs to do a "FEC record" (in fact the input screen might be called "FEC record").

Comment

Dyncorp

I would be willing to bet that there is some information from his employer.

Dyncorp is a domestic company with a worldwide contracting empire. At one time they were a subsidiary of CSC Computer Sciences Corp, and maybe they still are. I used to work for an affiliated company with Dyncorp, and trust me, they issued thousands of W-2s to people working all over the world.
        Last edited by Nashville; 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X