Section 266 Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 266 Election

The T/P has invested in several pieces of real estate over the last 3 to 4 years. He has borrowed on a Home equity LOC to buy and maintain the properties as well as pay carrying cost of insurance and utilities. He has empty lots on which he hopes to build and a house he hoped to sell which is now a rental.

He capitalized all the interest and expense on the properties without making a 266 election on any returns. He did not tell me he was doing this (of course). It came to light this year since he had rented the house for the first time. I took the capitalized expense as basis and began depreciation.

His other question was regarding the empty lots which he had contracted to have a house built and the builder failed to perform so he is out a fair bit of money he advanced the builder. His question was could he amend prior year returns to claim the interest in the year incurred. Can he amend a return to undo an election never made?

On looking at the old returns I see that he would not gain a tax benefit from amending to claim the interest. Therefore can he and/or should he amend the returns to make the 266 election?

Has anyone had an examination or know of a cite dealing with basis from capitalized expenses not backed up by the 266 election? He properly kept records and did not otherwise deduct the interest or taxes. He just failed, due to lack of knowledge, to make the election.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

The regulation under Section 266 says in part:

If the taxpayer elects to capitalize an item or items under this section, such election shall be exercised by filing with the original return for the year for which the election is made a statement indicating the item or items (whether with respect to the same project or to different projects) which the taxpayer elects to treat as chargeable to capital account.
    There is no election if the statement was never attached to the original return. That seems to indicate you cannot go back and amend a return to make the election. And I do not see any situation described in the regulation that says if the taxpayer never attached the statement, you can just pretend he did.

Comment

That's the problem it's silent on the negative. When the smoke clears maybe I can run down a court case for a little more guidence on the issue.

Thanks for the reply.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
      X