Question on extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on extension?

When you file an extension: joint or separated. Do you have to do their taxes the way you filed them on the extension----- they haven't made their mind up what to do yet.

Going to file married but they said by August it might be separated. Does it matter? Or as along as their taxes are done? Wanted to be sure before I mess up. Thanks
    SueBaby

I thought it was based on status as of 12/31/08

I thought the 08 extension is based on the same filing status you would have filed the taxpayers 08 return regardless if you filed the 08 extension.

Comment

You can file the extension one way and the final tax returns another way. It does not matter. I would file separate extensions. You can always do joint return later.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        I thought the 08 extension is based on the same filing status you would have filed the taxpayers 08 return regardless if you filed the 08 extension.
        They don't want to do taxes now because of owing alot of money and the wife is going to separate from him this summer and wants to do her own. The husband wants together and they are arguing about what to do----only 2 DAYS LEFT!!! I AM giving an extension but which way is right for the IRS?
        SueBaby

Comment

See my previous post. The IRS does not care. File separate extensions.

Comment

I agree.
            Separate extensions protect you & the client, regardless of how the final return is prepared.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yes file seperate extensions. If the spouse named second on the return files seperate the IRS won't see the extension. Also they can make their own seperate payments that way.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
              X