Newlywed and 1st time homebuyer credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newlywed and 1st time homebuyer credit

So sorry if this has already been answered. I searched threads and there were just too many.

Client qualifies as 1st time homebuyer - purchased 1st home 07/31/08.

Got married 10/15/08. Wife does not qualify.

Can client take $3750 of the credit?

I think so, but would sure like your opinion before I finalize the return.

Thanks!

I would take the full credit because he was not married when purchased. It is nothing when one of the spouses does not qualify.
    Last edited by solomon; 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for answering!

Comment

Not

how I understand it. You are filing a joint return for 2008, one of the SPOUSES does not qualify, neither can take it. If they waited until 2009 to get married,,,,,,,,,,
        AJ, EA

Comment

Just found out the purchaser is a nonresident alien, so it's a no-go anyway. Thanks.

Comment

Recent Divorcee

Recent Divorcee has owned two homes jointly with her husband, but has never owned a home by herself. Is she qualified for the 2009 credit providing she gets the home closed by 11/30/09?

I don't think so, but thought I would run it past some of the creative minds who visit this board.

Also, would the answer change if the house she was buying was the exact same house that she jointly owned with her ex?

Comment

She's out of luck since she owned a interest in a primary residence, even if it was a joint one.
              "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
              Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

You might want to read the post from 5/12.

Comment

Working...
                X