Home Office-Shared House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Office-Shared House

I have a client who co-owns her house with a non-spouse partner. Each individual enters what they personally paid for int & property taxes for Schedule A. One of the individuals has a home office -would you use the Schedule A figures for the home office deduction? Or would you use total interest & property taxes for the house?

How about the expenses?

I'm thinking the % home use is figured on the whole house so shouldn't the figures used for the expense calculations be for the whole house?

Thanks

Carolyn

I would use the sch A figures....
    Dave, EA

Comment

That's what I did last year -but then what about utilities? What she pays or the household expenses? Looking at the instructions it says expenses for the residence, not "your" expenses for the residence.

Comment

I would only use what she paid as expenses.
        Dave, EA

Comment

That was my knee jerk reaction...but if the house is say 2000 sq ft...and her office say 200 sq ft. Her office is 10% of the house.

If she pays for 1/2 the household expenses, she's technically paying for 1000sq ft, and her office is 20%...see where I'm coming from?

I'm thinking the % should really be calculated for the whole house.

Comment

I would use only her half of everything...so divide everything in half.
            Dave, EA

Comment

dsi has replied three times with the correct answer...if she shares ownership of the house and pays a portion of the expenses then I would actually take 1/2 the sq ft of the living area and the expenses she paid. kaimana
              DIY programs are not a replacement for a good tax pro

Comment

agree with kaimana

agree with kaimana

Comment

Working...
                X