Reset counting on posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset counting on posts

I love this board and I like to post. However, some posts are just my best judgment and, of course, some of them are "booboos". I feel somewhat bad if a relatively new poster receives my "booboo", is in awe of the number of posts (in other words: Thinks I am an expert) and starts to follow whatever I said before realizing that it was wrong after all when another expert sets me straight.

Well, I guess, I don't have any control over this if someone is just impressed with a big number, but could/should I request that my post count is reset?

Gretel, we are confused, do you or dont you want to

have a groupie following : )

How do you guys get those nice smiley faces to appear on your post!

Comment

Gretel

My thoughts are that even the most embarrassing post of yours, mine (and there have been many) or anyone elses, I can learn from a "booboo" post, as you put it and I'm sure others do, as well. So, don't worry about deleting those.

If anything, someone will see that we might all have the same thought processes for some areas, times of the season, etc.

AZ: you put a space after the colon.

(no space between the two characters)

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        I love this board and I like to post. However, some posts are just my best judgment and, of course, some of them are "booboos". I feel somewhat bad if a relatively new poster receives my "booboo", is in awe of the number of posts (in other words: Thinks I am an expert) and starts to follow whatever I said before realizing that it was wrong after all when another expert sets me straight.

Well, I guess, I don't have any control over this if someone is just impressed with a big number, but could/should I request that my post count is reset?
        Gretel - please don't feel like you are responsible for whether others follow your advice or not. This isn't a "covered opinion" thing. We've all received and we've all given out bad advice due to misreading the question, misunderstanding the tax code, etc. Anyone who relies solely upon advice or opinions offered on a forum should perhaps decrease the number of their own posts and get busy studying up IMHO: You are very smart and I've learned good things from you.

And on the flip side there are one or two, or maybe two who are actually one, who consistently plug up the board with inane posts merely to increase their count so as to appear an "expert" to any new and unwary poster. Perhaps you could arrange to trade your good posts to the inane for some appearances sake

Comment

You can edit

Gretel, you can edit your posts.

Sandy

Comment

My problem is, I edit my posts and still get it wrong. Personally, I learn more from my mistakes than from the times I'm right. So I want to be called out when I goof.

And if anyone is tempted to act on any answer I provide without someone else corroborating it, they need to be warned they should wait for confirmation.

(There, I've added another number to my count, but that doesn't mean a thing)

Hope everyone is doing well these last few days.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
              Gretel, you can edit your posts.

Sandy
              I also can sneak out and start with a new name, hah! Of course I won't do this. I also don't mind if all you "old" folks see how smart or how dumb I am (in truth I am neither, I just try to do my best, like you). ..and I don't want to edit my post after someone has replied already and pretend I was smarter in the first place (I am not implying you are doing this).

Comment

I learn

quite a bit by being corrected, and I have been corrected many times. I like to get other opinions when I post a question that's why I post them. I am not to quick to post help because there many others on this board with more "whiskers" than I have. I say post so we can learn:

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
                  I also can sneak out and start with a new name, hah! Of course I won't do this. I also don't mind if all you "old" folks see how smart or how dumb I am (in truth I am neither, I just try to do my best, like you). ..and I don't want to edit my post after someone has replied already and pretend I was smarter in the first place (I am not implying you are doing this).
                  The really embarrassing thing is when you take too long editing your original post, then come back and find someone replied with a "Quote Copy" and now your integrity is in question because the original error is locked in the next reply and out there for all to see. So you have to go back and put the incorrect info BACK into the original post to avoid the appearance of dishonesty. (Not that this has ever happened to me or anything like that, of course)
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I am so glad you brought this up.

After working at Block, I have made quite a few attempts to help, but misunderstood the question at the time and someone else has set me straight. Which is what should happen. I think I will just sit back and absorb.
                    I loved helping co-workers with their questions, but online I am out of my element. I miss the tax conversations but going back was not optional.

Bert

Comment

You're not the only one

Bert73 just thought you would like to know that I have a friend, a first year preparer, working for the same company and he is counting the days. kaimana
                      DIY programs are not a replacement for a good tax pro

Comment

Gretel:
                        We ALL make mistakes. I make many mistakes in typing to this message board.
                        After more than 52 years dealing with taxes, I still make mistakes and LEARN
                        from three tax message boards. You are doing fine. Best wishes.

dyne

Comment

If you ever need a confidence booster go hang out on the Yahoo answer board dealing with tax questions. There are a handful of knowledgeable pros there who do a good job helping people. There are however, a legion of smart a** types spreading lies and misinformation.
                          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
                          X