How would you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you

handle this mistake: Client is resident of MN. Worked in North Dakota. His W-2 shows the state of MD instead of MN which is a typo. The employer is dragging his feet in sending out a corrected W-2 and now we're coming down to the wire.
    What a year.

Thanks
    Larry

I'd file a precautionary extension with both states, pending a resolution of the paperwork.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

You say the "MD" is a typo

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
      handle this mistake: Client is resident of MN. Worked in North Dakota. His W-2 shows the state of MD instead of MN which is a typo. The employer is dragging his feet in sending out a corrected W-2 and now we're coming down to the wire.
      What a year.

Thanks
      Larry
      If you can identify the state ID number as belonging to the company IN MN, then ignore the typo and go ahead and file. Surely they can verify that number for you.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Good catch, Harlan.
        I still like the way you cut to the heart of the matter.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Didn't work

Thanks, it was a good idea to check the state ID#. I called MN Revenue -- gave them the state ID number on w2 and it wasn't MN's. But they did give me the correct state ID number for that employer.
          Has anyone filled out the w2 with the correct info? Omitting the incorrect info? I have the urge just to do that. (but I won't).
          thanks
          Larry

Comment

Well if the state ID number is not a MN number, that means it probably is a MD number. That would imply they withheld the taxes and remitted them to MD in which case a non-resident MD return showing $0 income would have to be filed to get the taxes withheld back. On the MN resident return, because nothing was withheld, the taxpayer would have to pay the full amount due.

Comment

Working...
            X