Cost Basis on Employee stock purchase program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost Basis on Employee stock purchase program

My client sends me a document that from left to right has the following columns:

Grant Date & FMV* on Grant Date

This does not look like employee stock option program but more like a.....???

Will I be able to figure cost basis from this document and if so how?

Esop

My client sends me a document????? That's nice.

Look for a Code V on the W-2, that will be the gain on the sale of the ESOP, and that amount is included in W-2 Box 1.

The stock sale is reported on Sch D with the sale and purchase on the same day, and the cost basis and sale price are equal.
    Last edited by RLymanC; 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM.
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Could be an ESPP too. Its employee stock, you need more info to verify what kind. Then we can help you.

Comment

No V code in box 12 of W-2

That is why its so confusing. I have done the ISO's that appear as 12 V on the W-2 via Sch D over the years. There is something in TTB pg 6-17 that at least mentions FMV. I am guessing that the FMV will be the TP's cost basis based on what I read but what is still missing is the # of shs the TP received at each grant date.

In addition to this, my client the TP now infoms me he sold Restricted stock and said its included in his salary in box 1.
        Where if any were would that appear on the W-2 for all my client has in box 12 is code D (401k)?

Comment

Working...
        X