1099-LTC must be new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-LTC must be new

Must be new tax stuff - cannot get an answer for the 1099-LTC with being in a nursing home
    Take the nursing home deduction on schudle A or not?
    Guess no one has has this?
    Thanks anyway - will try another research program.

1099ltc

Originally posted by bekzm View Post
    Must be new tax stuff - cannot get an answer for the 1099-LTC with being in a nursing home
    I took a quick look at it using Google. It looks like it is issued when the insurance company pays benefits, so the cost of long-term care should be reduced from the total cost by the amount the insurance company paid. You can, however, deduct the insurance premiums paid for the LTC insurance.

Comment

Hey my dad got one a few years ago. as long as all the payments were for care, none is taxable, but you do need to enter it onto a special form. Medical payments reduced accordingly.

Comment

If the benefits were paid on a per diem basis, then you will need to file IRS Form 8853, Section C. Form 8853 is the form for determining the taxable portion, if any, of long-term care benefits paid on a per diem basis.

The instructions for Form 8853, Pub 525 & 554, plus TMI Deluxe Edition pages 4-7 & 4-1 may be of some help. If this is still clear as mother's milk, give me a hollar and I will do what I can.

Hang in there!

taxmancometh

Originally posted by bekzm View Post

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for your guidance. I'm looking it up now so can finish one.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X