Home Depreciation Tax Credit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Depreciation Tax Credit???

As often happens, I get something like this... My friend got their taxes done at Jack in the Block and they say there is.. . they go on to talk about some odd tax credit that doesn't exist, but I still ahve ot research. This one I can't find anything on. Maybe someone here has heard about it (if it exists). Under the recent recovery tax adjustments, supposedly there is a new credit available to homeowners who sell a house at a loss?

There was

Originally posted by grlarson1955 View Post
    As often happens, I get something like this... My friend got their taxes done at Jack in the Block and they say there is.. . they go on to talk about some odd tax credit that doesn't exist, but I still ahve ot research. This one I can't find anything on. Maybe someone here has heard about it (if it exists). Under the recent recovery tax adjustments, supposedly there is a new credit available to homeowners who sell a house at a loss?
    a move in congress some years ago to allow this, but it fizzled.

and just as well in my opinion.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by grlarson1955 View Post
      supposedly there is a new credit available to homeowners who sell a house at a loss?
      What they might be talking about here is the exclusion of cancellation of debt income on principal residence indebtedness. After all, many that sell a house at a loss end up getting the remainder of their mortgage cancelled. That is income that would have been includable and taxed if not for the exclusion.

Comment

Exclusion of Debt Cancellation Income

As I understand it, this exclusion only applies to Midwest Disaster area. has this been expanded?

Comment

$2,000,000

$2,000,000 is pretty expansive.

Comment

I had my first one of these cancellation of debt on a mortgage loan today. It was nice to be able to do something to help someone who has had a hard time lately.

Worked like a charm

Linda

Comment

Have them contact their preparer and ask for the cite so she can read it for herself. Are you going to send her a bill? taxea
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X