NT / Same old stuff, year 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT / Same old stuff, year 14

I am always amazed at the stuff people do this week. I've had two today bring me their pre-printed Form 1096 for filing 1099's. You know, I think they both did this last year, too!

Also, every year there's that one client who poked around, and they're getting an extension for the first time, (mainly cause I'm just tired of people pokin around year after year). Anyhow, they're terrified: "I've never gotten an extension before. What all is involved? Does it cost anything?"

Then, there's the guy who moved here from out of state 8 months ago and just realized, today apparently, that he needs a tax preparer: His first question: "Can you tell me how much you charge?" Me: "So far, between $45 and $600."

Wow, this week rocks.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Extensions

Cooper, also amazed at the people who call and say "Hey just file an extension for me."
    "Not a problem, Mr. Doofus, all I need is a little information. How much do you think you'll owe?"
    "How am s'posed to know that?"
    "Just by running an estimate of your numbers."
    "If I had time to do an estimate, I'd just go ahead and file"
    "My point exactly, Mr. Doofus."

Comment

Thanks for the laugh...

Geez....were you listening in on some of my conversations with clients? Sometimes I just shake my head.

I had one today who was not happy with the numbers that I arrived at....like I can change the fact they took $5000.00 out of an IRA without paying any taxes and they are getting hit with a 10% penalty. Maybe call me BEFORE you do that so we can discuss other options you might have.

Oh, and the husband and wife file MFS...he itemized and she didn't....no...no...no...can't do that! How come they ask? Unjust enrichment, I say! What makes people think they are "special" and somehow qualify for a greater deduction than other poor folk?

How many more hours before the pain is over?

Mo

Comment

small point

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
        Cooper, also amazed at the people who call and say "Hey just file an extension for me."
        "Not a problem, Mr. Doofus, all I need is a little information. How much do you think you'll owe?"
        "How am s'posed to know that?"
        "Just by running an estimate of your numbers."
        "If I had time to do an estimate, I'd just go ahead and file"
        "My point exactly, Mr. Doofus."
        I have read on this board (I think JohnH said it) that filing an extension even with no payment avoids the FTF penalty which is most of the cost involved in doing nothing until Oct 15 and leaves the taxpayer with a penalty of only 3% or so per year for FTP.

I will file an extension for a client but what I do is charge a fee of $100 that is good toward the cost of the return plus if applicable an extra charge for ciphering the numbers to put on the extension. That way I pocket enough money to pay me for the time involved and the cost to the taxpayer is reasonable. Of course if the real problem is not lack of information for filing but money to pay an anticipated balance due and possibly also to pay me, then this policy brings that out into the open and we can potentially work something out.

Comment

One of my little old lady clients came in today with all of her charitable contributions; 2 stacks of $10-50 contriubutions....her 1099-SSA...and nothing else. no 1099-Rs (she has two pensions and an annuity) no re tax (at least I can look that up online), no 1099-INT (has some CDs that pay about $500 a year)....and the kicker is she hasn't itemized since she stopped her LTC insurance.

Told her to look in her 2009 tax file since she would have gotten the docs in 2009. Last year it took about 4 months to get the 1099-INT, including a call to the bank.

Sigh. and last year she owed with my estimate so had to explain the extension payment....

Comment

Well I can top that one...

Client called me at least 10 times (I'm thnking at least 2 hours in all) asking me what forms to send. After about the 4th time when she hit on one I wanted I suggested writing "Send" on it. Then she would call back and ask if she should send the "send" one.

Tonight I got a call and she said she got her package back, return to sender. I had her read what it said. It says: Your name
            Your city and state and zip.
            Why was it sent back?
            There's no street address I said.
            Oh, says the client.

Too late now - take it locally.
            JG

Comment

Geez Louise

Caller: I need to make an appointment to get our taxes done.

Me: Well, I would be happy to get you an extension, but I cannot get it done by the 15th.

Caller: Oh, well, what do you need to get the extension?

Me: Name, address, SSN.

Caller: Well, all I have is retirement and air conditioning credit.

Me: (thinking sarcastic OK...) blah, blah, no AC credit. you have internet connection? look at form 5695, blah, blah)

Caller: So, if I bring my stuff in today, can you get the return done by the 15th?

Comment

Expect Idiots to come Today!

I put the above sign on my computer two days ago.l

One lady left her data for me to file a separate return 3 weeks ago. She had to call
                me back with further information. Finally I got her return ready. I called her a week ago to tell her the return is ready. She called me today to advise she and her husband now want to file JOINT instead. Remember the return I already prepared is in her social security number.
                I am referring her to a CPA.

A man called me in February and asked if I could prepare his return. I told him yes.
                He called this morning and is NOW ready to bring me a box full of receipts, etc.
                I told him to go to a nearby CPA.

I do NOT tolerate such. When I started my tax service 25 years ago, another preparer advised
                me that this is MY business and I should learn when to say NO to clients who I
                believe are trouble. I do!
                Last edited by dyne2; 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yeah, I'm learning

Couple came in two weeks ago, paid me for 2007, left their crap. They are supposed to be finding their real estate tax figure. It can sit here, not entered, till they find it. Wonder where it is, that it's taking two weeks to find it...

Comment

SCorp client made about $145k in profit. He was furious at ME when I told him how much tax he will owe and he's already spent all of his money. I found out in November 2008 and advised him to make a payroll tax deposit for officer salary. He did. He still owes around $8k in tax. Again, he's mad at me for that. Supposed to show up yesterday and was a no show.

I'm not impressed with clients who seek to shoot the messenger. It's just hard at this time because I'm so very tired my defenses are down, and it's hard to cope with feeling angry on top of all the work I need to be able to do. There just isn't enough money to compensate for this.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                      SCorp client made about $145k in profit. He was furious at ME when I told him how much tax he will owe and he's already spent all of his money. I found out in November 2008 and advised him to make a payroll tax deposit for officer salary. He did. He still owes around $8k in tax. Again, he's mad at me for that. Supposed to show up yesterday and was a no show.

I'm not impressed with clients who seek to shoot the messenger. It's just hard at this time because I'm so very tired my defenses are down, and it's hard to cope with feeling angry on top of all the work I need to be able to do. There just isn't enough money to compensate for this.
                      Yes, had this yesterday. BP was so high my eyes were smarting. I just refuse to take this from a client. If it's a shout-down they want, they've got it. Takes all day and into the night to deal with a situation like this. Bad thing is that we try not to let this affect the rest of our work or thought process, but it creeps in.

D

Comment

I know what you mean!

That shooting the messenger thing. Grrrrr. Got new clients Friday. (Of course, had to go thru the whole you're getting an extension thing.)

Know why they came in? Because they've had to pay for the past two years. I looked at 2007 return. They have retirement, SS, a dab of interest income, deductions amount to $271 "tithes" and $456 medical. NOBODY could mess up this return.

"She wouldn't let us deduct our medical and tithes."

I show them the standard deduction on a blank return. "No, she just decided you should deduct $13,000 instead of the expenses you had."

Then, he starts in on, "They won't take anything out of my retirement."

Me: "Well, that's not Jan's (previous preparer) fault."

I can't believe they left their stuff. I was pretty rude, and meant to be...
                        Last edited by RitaB; 04-14-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Ha! She just called

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
                          Couple came in two weeks ago, paid me for 2007, left their crap. They are supposed to be finding their real estate tax figure. It can sit here, not entered, till they find it. Wonder where it is, that it's taking two weeks to find it...
                          "This is Slacker Client. Have you done anything on our taxes?"

Me: "Well, no, as a matter of fact I haven't. I've been waiting on you to call with your property tax figure."

"Oh. Oh..."

Comment

Hall of Fame

This thread should go directly to the Hall of Fame! It makes me feel a little better when I know that most everyone else ALSO gets the "crazies" this time of year!
                            Thanks for the good humor - Only one more week.........
                            (oh and I FINALLY completed my OWN return TODAY! (a week ahead of last year!)

Comment

Ok, smartie

Originally posted by luke View Post
                              ...oh and I FINALLY completed my OWN return TODAY!
                              I hate you.

(Just kiddin! I'm really jealous. I figure mine might get done by 4th of July! Gives new meaning to "Independence" day. Haha!)

Comment

Working...
                              X