Student claimed as dependent & educcation credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student claimed as dependent & educcation credits

Family is really struggling. Son is 20 and is working as many hours as he can while going to school to help with expenses. He earned about $ 9500 in all of 2008. In spring he had 11 credit hours, summer 6 credit hours and fall semister 9 credit hours. According to school he needs 12 credit hours to be considered full time. TTB refers to "full time student in any 5 month period during the year". Is there any consideration under which he could qualify so parents get the exemption? He does meet at least the part-time status so I believe the tutiion his parents pay should be availabe for HOPE Credit on their return, or do the parents loose that too?

Originally posted by Art View Post
    Is there any consideration under which he could qualify so parents get the exemption?
    If he was disabled...

He does meet at least the part-time status so I believe the tutiion his parents pay should be availabe for HOPE Credit on their return, or do the parents loose that too?
    Parents lose that as well, Pub 17 page 233 under "Who Can Claim a Credit" - "The eligible student is either yourself, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption on your tax return." The child could take the credit on their return, but obviously won't get a whole lot of benefit. Still, something is better than nothing.

Comment

as long as parents claim him as a dependent, why can't they take the Hope credit?

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
        as long as parents claim him as a dependent, why can't they take the Hope credit?
        Because the parents can't claim him as a dependent. Too old/not a full time student to be a qualifying child. Made too much money to be a qualifying relative.

Comment

Art's post started out as " dependent student " he is under 24 and at least half time student

Comment

Half-time is important for education credits, but full-time is required for qualifying child test.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980
              Because the parents can't claim him as a dependent. Too old/not a full time student to be a qualifying child. Made too much money to be a qualifying relative.
              Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              full-time is required for qualifying child test.

Agree. Pub 17, p. 27 --- Full time student- one who is enrolled for the number of hours the school considers to be full time attendance. OP gave the info that 12 credits are required for full time student status.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I could not come up with an "out" for my client, but as tired as I am this time of year, I did not want to overlook any possiblity of claiming the son.

Comment

Working...
                X