Filed 2008 Return - Now needs amending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed 2008 Return - Now needs amending

I filed clients tax return on 3/31 electronically. Client called and forgot a deduction. Any problem with immediately filing an amendment? He has not got his refund yet.

Sometimes I think I should hold all returns for a couple of days to avoid this. Huh?

I wouldn't amend until after the refund arrives.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Agree with JohnH. I use a simplistic approach, just let them have one thing at a time to handle or the chances of it getting screwed up go up drastically.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I'd wait till after 4/15 at this point

Agree with the others. Wait for refund. I'd wait till after 4/15 for any amendments now and take care of the April filers.

I've had several amends this year over missing information. One client filed earlier than usual, then called a week later and wanted to add another deduction he said he didn't want to take earlier. I suggested we wait for the refund to come in and also wait to see if more documents come in. And they did. He'd forgotten about the stock sale. He usually has everything in order, but he had a tough year in 2008 and I think he needed the money. And I don't think he's the only one.

Have a good season!
        MAW
        God Bless!
        M. A. Wigton
        Pacific NW

Comment

a different twist

I had a client call today that owes and asked 'can I do an IRA or a SEP or something'? Doesn't qualify for a deductible IRA but the extra SE income (that's causing the big bill) does allow for a SEP. Efile was accepted this morning. So...do I do a 'corrected' return taken to the IRS center before the 15th? And I didn't file the state before he called; do I file the state (CA) as is (has a refund) and amend or file with the SEP as the 'corrected' return would be?

****, its too late for this kinda stuff.....

Comment

joan

I don't get why you are talking about taking the return to a service center. Wouldn't it be enough to use registered mail or one of the approved delivery services by the 15th? Of course you would warn your client to keep the receipt.

As for your California question, I know absolutely nothing about that State but I know how things are in NC. NC hears about every Federal Amend with an NC address and if there is no corresponding NC amend they write and ask why not. Since clients dislike those letters, I always amend NC when I amend a Federal Return for an NC Resident even if the issue does not change the bottom line on NC. If CA is like NC then you would want to file a CA return based on the original Federal return and then Amend both Federal and CA.

Comment

You get an instant receipt

Hi Erchess...if you decide to do a corrected return, I too would have the client deliver it to the local IRS office and obtain a receipt....that should guarantee that it gets in IRS hands before 4/15. And....it inconveniences the client like he/she inconvenienced you by instructing him that he has to deliver it and it has to be there before 4/15. I always have my clients hand deliver manual filing returns. taxea
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X