safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

safe

Hi fellow tax professionals, at this point in the tax season my mind is not as sharp. I
    know I am suppose to know this, but can a taxpayer deduct a safe as misc deduction
    on sch A as an investment expense if used for financial documents etc. ?

Thanks, and good luck the rest of the tax season.
    DixieEA

Yeh....I think so...

It seems if you can deduct safe deposit box rental you should be able to deduct a safe but I think you might need to depreciate it.

Thanks. I'm going to start asking that question.

Have a good season
    MAW
    God Bless!
    M. A. Wigton
    Pacific NW

Comment

The answer

Originally posted by DixieEA View Post
      Hi fellow tax professionals, at this point in the tax season my mind is not as sharp. I
      know I am suppose to know this, but can a taxpayer deduct a safe as misc deduction
      on sch A as an investment expense if used for financial documents etc. ?

Thanks, and good luck the rest of the tax season.
      DixieEA
      is "yes". Been there, done that for a client.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Harlan two questions

1. Did you expense the safe or depreciate it?

2. How did you deal with the possibility that the safe might at some point be used for non deductible purposes? My own safe contains investment related property but it also contains items that are clearly not investment property such as jewelry I would never sell, birth and death certificates, and old correspondence.

Comment

answers

Originally posted by erchess View Post
          1. Did you expense the safe or depreciate it?

2. How did you deal with the possibility that the safe might at some point be used for non deductible purposes? My own safe contains investment related property but it also contains items that are clearly not investment property such as jewelry I would never sell, birth and death certificates, and old correspondence.
          1. Whole cost, about $300 was written off; no big deal.

2. I don't worry about this atall. This is not a matter that IRS even upon audit is going to
          make an issue of.

Just as long as i'm satisfied client uses safe predominantly to store stocks and bonds,
          maybe a coin collection, is sufficient.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Now I understand your login name

Chear can you give me a site resource for taking the safe. I would be concerned that it is also being used for personal items and would at least have to be allocated if it can be taken at all. taxea
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

IRS letter ruling

erchess, I have done a little research and found this. IRS letter Ruling 8218037, held the
              cost of a safe(including installation expenses) used to store securities and other financial
              instruments(acquired fo the production of taxable income) is capital expenditure and may
              not be deducted in the yr of acquisition. The cost may be recovered through depreciation
              only if the taxpayer itemizes deductions. Such depreciation is deductible as a misc
              deduction, subject to the 2% of AGI limitation. No decuction is allowed to the extent the
              safe is used to store jewelry and other personal effects.

DixieEA

Comment

Originally posted by DixieEA View Post
                erchess, I have done a little research and found this. IRS letter Ruling 8218037, held the
                cost of a safe(including installation expenses) used to store securities and other financial
                instruments(acquired fo the production of taxable income) is capital expenditure and may
                not be deducted in the yr of acquisition. The cost may be recovered through depreciation
                only if the taxpayer itemizes deductions. Such depreciation is deductible as a misc
                deduction, subject to the 2% of AGI limitation. No decuction is allowed to the extent the
                safe is used to store jewelry and other personal effects.

DixieEA
                Sounds like your best bet is Sec. 179.

Comment

Good catch there

Larmil. Section179 it is.

I did notice that the private letter ruling referred to above has the number "82" in it.
                  I'm not sure, but that may refer to 1982. At any rate, it was a private letter ruling
                  and applicable to the person requesting it.

And to clarify the client deduction for the safe was way back when, probably before
                  1982 anyway.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I think it's gong to be on a individual bases, no clear cut answer,

In J.K. Lasser's book, under Investment Expense deduction:

Safe-deposit box rental fee or home safe to hold your securities, unless
                    used to hold personal effects or tax-exempt securities.

They also mention Ltr 8218077

Comment

Working...
                    X