Does SS benefits end immediately upon death of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does SS benefits end immediately upon death of

Does SS benefits end immediately upon the death of the recepient? Are all SS benefit checks paid a certain day of the month and if so what date of the month is that? Does any of the SS benefits have to be paid back if SS was not notified for several months after the recepients death?

I forgot to add....

The taxpayer who died lost her husband years ago.

Comment

Social Security Benefits

From SSA.gov

Is a beneficiary's estate entitled to the check for the month of death?

Question
      My mother died February 25. Is her estate entitled to the check which arrived March 3, which is for the month of February? If not, why not?

Answer
      No. Social Security benefits are not payable for the month in which a beneficiary dies. This applies whether the person dies on the first or the last day of the month. This provision has been in the law since 1939 and can be changed only by an amendment to the Social Security Act. The legislative history of this provision does not show why benefits are not payable for the month of death. However, the provision complements the provision of the law that allows us to pay survivors benefits for the entire month of death.
      Is it the responsibility of a funeral home to notify Social Security of a death?

Question
      When a Social Security beneficiary dies, does the funeral home notify Social Security or is notification up to the family?

Answer
      Many funeral directors voluntarily provide death information directly to Social Security. But, family members of a deceased individual still have the legal responsibility to notify Social Security. For information on what action to take when a beneficiary dies, see What To Do When A Beneficiary Dies.
      What To Do When A Beneficiary Dies
      Reviewed: November 28, 2006

A family member or other person responsible for the beneficiary's affairs should do the following:

Promptly notify Social Security of the beneficiary's death by calling SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. (TTY 1-800-325-0778.)

If monthly benefits were being paid via direct deposit, notify the bank or other financial institution of the beneficiary's death. Request that any funds received for the month of death and later be returned to Social Security as soon as possible.

If benefits were being paid by check, DO NOT CASH any checks received for the month in which the beneficiary died or thereafter. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.
      You can go to SSA.gov and go to Questions for additional information.

Sandy

Comment

social secuirty checks

The aumatic deposits are made on the 3rd of each month. I assume checks are received about that time also.

Comment

date of SS checks

The aumatic deposits are made on the 3rd of each month. I assume checks are received about that time also

Yes, they receive their checks on the 3rd. Before Direct Deposit there were always long lines at the bank that day of everyone going to cash their checks. Still so for those who get checks but the lines are not quite so long with a lot of folks getting direct deposit. You will find more people at the grocery, Walmart, and just out and about on the 3rd for the same reason.

Comment

Date of Deposit Varies.

I receive my direct deposit around the 16th of each month. I think it varies depending on the last name

Comment

SS direct deposit varies

My mother-in-law receives her deposit on the 1st or 2nd of the Month and my husband receives his on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, so date fluctuates.

Sandy
              Last edited by S T; 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Actually

SSA direct deposits are made weekly, depending on last name, and scheduled to be
                available in bank on that particular Wednesday. However I have had mine available the
                day before.
                And once upon a time, when a federal holiday was on the Monday before, the funds were
                available the previous Friday.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Depends on birthdate

The scheduled date for deposits is ordinarily on a Wednesday. Which Wednesday is determined by the date of birth. For example, my wife's birthday is on the 7th and she gets her deposit on the 2nd Wednesday. Mine is on the 25th and I get it on the 4th Wednesday.

LT
                  Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

You are correct in the deposit dates for recent retirees. Older ones who have been on SS for a long time may still receive their checks on the 1st / 3rd of the month since that is the way it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      You are correct in the deposit dates for recent retirees. Older ones who have been on SS for a long time may still receive their checks on the 1st / 3rd of the month since that is the way it used to be.
                      Burke - thanks for that info.

LT
                      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
                      X