non cash donation help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non cash donation help?

Client donated a 1 week per year Timeshare to Make A Wish - his original cost was over $9,000 - of course he wants that much of a deduction, Problem is that no one wants to provide an "appraisal" on a timeshare (they dont consider it real estate?)
    The timeshare company solution was to take less than $5000 deduction and no appraisal would be needed - not a good answer but maybe the only choice?
    Any ideas - THANKS in advance.

I'm Confused

Originally posted by luke View Post
    Client donated a 1 week per year Timeshare to Make A Wish - his original cost was over $9,000 - of course he wants that much of a deduction, Problem is that no one wants to provide an "appraisal" on a timeshare (they dont consider it real estate?)
    The timeshare company solution was to take less than $5000 deduction and no appraisal would be needed - not a good answer but maybe the only choice?
    Any ideas - THANKS in advance.
    Timeshare costs $9,000 per week?

Comment

Client PAID $9,000 several years ago to purchase 1 week per year..... (he actually had a "deed" prepared by attorney)

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
        Client PAID $9,000 several years ago to purchase 1 week per year..... (he actually had a "deed" prepared by attorney)
        One key is factor is the fair market value. What could he sell it for?

Comment

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
          One key is factor is the fair market value. What could he sell it for?
          It would be nice if you can somehow get a very accurate fair market value. But I think it is a requirement that you need an appraisal for a non-cash donation which is over $5,000.

Comment

If it was given to a charitable organization, it's a pretty sure bet they sold it rather than kept it for their own use. Would a timeshare in a resort area fit into their normal function of charitable purposes? So what they sold it for IS the FMV. And they would have documentation. If not, there is a secondary market for these, so you could probably find out from comparables that have sold recently in the same complex. Check websites for sale offers.
            Last edited by Burke; 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotEasy View Post
              It would be nice if you can somehow get a very accurate fair market value. But I think it is a requirement that you need an appraisal for a non-cash donation which is over $5,000.
              I personally don't that the donation would be over $5,000 - hence no appraisal needed.

Comment

Cost of Time Share

Hmmm, cost $9,000 to purchase 1 week of Timeshare. What is the term of the contract, i.e, 1 week of Time Share over the next 10 years, next 20 years, etc. or was it $9,000 for one week for one year?

Sandy

Comment

no time limit

Timeshare is "owned" for as long as there is a building there (no length of time stated)

Comment

Hmmm

If the timeshare cost is $9,000 wouldn't you have to arrive at a period of time that the $9,000 covered. Or did the t/p buy only 1 week in 2008 for $9,000???

If taxpayer purchased timeshare for $9,000 and he is able to access that timeshare 1 week out of every year over a period of years, wouldn't the value be $9,000/ # of years or period to arrive at what the $ amount that the t/p donated for one week?

If I understand your original post the t/p only donated 1 week. So let's presume that the term of the contract is an investment of $9,000 for 30 years of time share usage for 1 week, wouldn't that equate to $300 per week per year.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                    X