SEP IRA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEP IRA question

Can a self-employed person with no employees who has just set up a SEP IRA still make a 2008 contribution to the SEP IRA? He has already contributed $5000 to a traditional IRA--how would that affect it?

I can't quote you a cite, but I played around in my software (ProSeries) and it allows both.
    Sandy >^..^<

Comment

he can make contribution to SEP up until October 15 if return is extended. Depending on his modified adjusted income and filing status the IRA might or might not be deductable.
      Last edited by Bucky; 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Correct. The setting up and funding for 2008 of a SEP means he is covered by a qualified pension plan and the IRA deduction comes under those rules.

Comment

Spousal IRA

His self-employment income was $ 116,200 so he could contribute a little over $ 20,000. It looks like he would not be able to contribute further to another IRA.....BUT does the phase-out also prevent his wife, who does not work, from contributing to a spousal IRA?

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
            does the phase-out also prevent his wife, who does not work, from contributing to a spousal IRA?
            TTB p. 13-11 --- MAGI phase out range for deducting spousal IRA is $159,000-$169,000.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by BP. View Post
              TTB p. 13-11 --- MAGI phase out range for deducting spousal IRA is $159,000-$169,000.
              Thanks for that TTB reference.
              I've been looking all over the Tax book and didn't see that. All I was looking at was the $ 105000 phase-out for an active participant.

Comment

Working...
              X