I'm not sure how to report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure how to report

a transaction. Client is musician. On the depreciation list is a "mixer amp group" purchased 9/2002 for $1225. He took "part" of this group and donated to church in 2008. Has receipt from church showing value of $485. This "group" has already incurred $760 in prior depreciation. How do I report this transaction?
    Sorry, but I'm drawing a blank on this one.
    Thanks for your help.
    Larry

Report FMV

The FMV value is what is reported on Schedule A as a non-cash charitable donation.

Doesn't matter what the basis or adjusted basis may be for purposes of reporting on Schedule A. I believe the non-cash (Form 8283?) has a box asking for original cost and purchase date, and someone will have to estimate what that portion of the item consisted of the whole.

Example: Item in question cost $500, and remainder of the set cost $1000, total $1500. This means that the component was 1/3 of the total value. Musician saved by buying the entire set for $1225. The original cost of the item in question was 1/3, or $408.33.

Comment

Wow Nashville,

you're great!! Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it!!!
      Larry

Comment

Aw Shucks

Larry thank you for your kind words.

Never fear, just when you hear someone say "You're great" you get humbled. Happens in the tax business all the time.

Say Hello to Apple Valley for me.

Comment

Not sure that is correct. See page 4-16 of The Tax Book under Contributions of property reduction to FMV.
          Last edited by Bucky; 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM. Reason: wrong page

Comment

Bucy, I see

what you mean. I'll have to find out what the portion of the "system" is being donated then subtract that value from the business assets being depriciated.
            Thanks
            Larry

oops. mispelled "Bucky"
            sorry.
            Last edited by fliszt; 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM. Reason: mispell

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
              The FMV value is what is reported on Schedule A as a non-cash charitable donation.

Doesn't matter what the basis or adjusted basis may be for purposes of reporting on Schedule A. I believe the non-cash (Form 8283?) has a box asking for original cost and purchase date, and someone will have to estimate what that portion of the item consisted of the whole.

Example: Item in question cost $500, and remainder of the set cost $1000, total $1500. This means that the component was 1/3 of the total value. Musician saved by buying the entire set for $1225. The original cost of the item in question was 1/3, or $408.33.
              Ahem. From TTB 1040 4-16:

Ordinary income property. The deduction equals FMV minus the
              amount that would be ordinary income or short-term capital gain
              if the property were sold. Examples include inventory, works of
              art created by the donor, and capital assets held for one year or
              less. If the property given is a depreciable asset held more than
              one year, the depreciation that has been allowed or allowable
              is subject to recapture as ordinary income. This rule limits the
              deduction for ordinary income property to its basis.

Comment

Working...
              X