Grantor Letter and Sch D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grantor Letter and Sch D

I have a trust that generates a Grantor Letter every year.

In years past, it has been pretty simple to enter the data on the 1040, with direct instructions and figures.

This year, there is an extensive Sch D. When I entered every exchange, and checked it twice, it will not balance with the Grantor Letter.

Since the letter is coming from an Attorney's office, and I am lowly me, I must assume that my data is incorrect for some reason.

This is a paper return for the attorney to ultimately file. Am I allowed to input the bottom line on the Sch D and attach the statement?

I read a thread from another year where "old Jack" said we need to enter the Sch D details. That is indeed what I have done in the past.

But this year, I have camped out on it, and I really need to move on!! If there is a short cut, I need it!

Thanks

=)
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

You can input the bottom line on the Sche D and attach the statement. BUT I would not do it if it does not add up! Need to contact atty to find out what discrepancy is. Dollars to doughnuts he didn't even do it -- check with his secy or paralegal.

Comment

The statement...

... I am trying to balance is from the investment firm. It just does not add up!

The paralegal didn't even think to run the numbers, she just input the bottom line on the Trust return and that was that. I'm a little more picky when it comes to details, and I ran the numbers. Honest to goodness, they don't balance.

I will look at it again tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes and a more fresh brain. I feel like I must trust the flippin' investment firm, right?

argggg

=(

Thanks so much for the advise to attach the statement...really.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

[QUOTE=Possi;79035. I feel like I must trust the flippin' investment firm, right?
        argggg=(Thanks so much for the advise to attach the statement...really.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? I never trust the investment firm. I add them all up. Check to make sure they have all the cost basis figures. That is generally where the errors are. Wachovia is the worst.

Comment

Thank You

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          Are you kidding? I never trust the investment firm. I add them all up. Check to make sure they have all the cost basis figures. That is generally where the errors are. Wachovia is the worst.
          I seriously thought I was losing my mind.

I still might be losing my mind, except that someone once told me "You can never lose what you never had..."

Comment

Working...
          X